Make some room in your recipe box – or better yet, make a new one! Randi at I Have To Say is hosting a recipe swap.
Here is one of my children’s favourite supper dishes. I usually just throw it together but I’ll do my best to give you approximate measures. This is a great recipe to use left-over chicken and rice.
Chicken Pineapple Curry Rice Casserole
- Cook enough rice (or use left-over) to fill 1/3 a 9 by 13 casserole dish. More or less – it doesn’t really matter.
- Sauté 3/4 cup each chopped celery and onions with approx. 3 T butter – or Pam if you want to watch the fat.
- Mix in a separate bowl – leftover cooked chicken with one can each cream of chicken and cream of celery soup – you could make 2 cups white cream sauce if you are in the gourmet mood.
- add curry (I add approx a Tbsp for a 9 by 13 casserole dish but if depends on your taste for curry)
- You could add peas or green beans but my family prefers this casserole without. Any cooked or frozen green vegetable would be good.
- Add celery/onion mixture to chicken/soup mixture
- Spread over the rice
- Melt approx. 3 T butter in frying pan.
- Sauté a can of pineapple chunks in the butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the mixture. Or, if you are fancy, dip the sauteed pineapple chunks in brown sugar.
- Arrange sauteed pineapple chunks on top of chicken mixture.
- Optional, but soooo good – pour the leftover butter/brown sugar mixture on top of casserole (it’s not that much and it gives it that added tropical flair)
- Bake at 350 until bubbly. Around 30 minutes
- Serve with salad
And a freebie – Christianaudio.com – a free download every month. Use this month’s coupon FEB2008 for a copy of the excellent classic How to Pray by R A Torry.
Walking club members – listen to it while you add steps and work off that brown sugar and butter!
Now I’m off to Randi’s to check out some great new recipe ideas.