but every day!

As a tribute to my lovely American readers who are recovering from celebrating Thanksgiving this week

and simply because I am cultivating a habit that I (and many others) know is life-changing,

my Friday’s Fav 5 will be things for which I am THANKFUL:

1. Wise friends who inspire and encourageAnn V. shared a link to this article and I shared with my Bible Study group (whom I affectionately call my “Fearless Friends”) and also with my husband who has shared it with his Session. I’ve no doubt it will work its way into a sermon, and be shared far beyond this little community. Take the time to read Replace Worry With Gratitude. Join Ann V’s Gratitude Community for daily doses of encouragement.

2. Beauty: What can I say? It snowed this week.

3. Feathered friends

Roger and I love to watch the little chickadees at the feeder. This is a very slimming picture of this fellow – here’s another shot that  shows how chubby these birds really are!

The bluejays are frequent visitors too – so pretty with their bright blue even though they can empty a bird-feeder in a day!

4. Furry friends

Little Jack and Lily experienced their very first snowfall.

They weren’t too sure what to make of it. At first, they stayed on any patch of dry ground they could find.

Sophie had to show them how to play in the snow.

They weren’t impressed!

5. Christmas Baking – Mmm mm …

• the spicy scent of ginger and cinnamon
  •  brown sugar and butter melting for plum pudding sauce
  •  and hot apple cider
  •  the sight of red and green sparkles on sugar cookies
  •  snow- white icing on gingerbread men
  •  deep, dark fruitcake
  •  and bright red raspberry trifle with mounds of whipped cream

So many special holiday recipes!

The Island even has a website especially dedicated to traditional holiday recipes. Check it out here.

Notice how many recipes use molasses! It has been a staple in Island households since the days of sailing ships, when we traded potatoes for Barbados molasses.

I’ll leave you with a simple plum pudding recipe that is very similar to the one my very dear MIL makes. I have yet to make one, because she always comes through for the family! Maybe this year will be the year I attempt it.

With warm wishes for a wonderful weekend!

Gram’s Plum Pudding – 1999
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 slice dry bread (crumble and put in the milk)
1 cup molasses
1 cup sweet milk
1 1/2 lb. raisins (small and sticky)
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Break apart the raisins and mix lightly with flour. Crumble dry bread into the milk. Cream butter and brown sugar stir in molasses beat in the eggs, mix 1 cup flour, 1/2 the milk, 1 cup flour, rest of milk, rest of the flour and the raisins. Mix well. Add last 1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 tbsp. of milk. Mix in well. Fill cans 3/4 full of pudding and cover the top with waxed or brown paper. Tie down with an elastic band or string. Place cans in Dutch oven. Have a couple inches of water on the boil when cans are put in. Pudding needs to be steamed for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Do not let the Dutch oven boil dry. I use 19 oz baked bean cans to fit my oven. You use what will fit your pot. This pudding can be made in November it will keep just fine in refrigerator until Christmas.Submitted by Joyce White, Hampshire, P.E.I.
PS

Don’t forget to check out all the other Friday Fave 5s at Suzanne’s!

17 thoughts on “Not only on Friday . . .

1. Lovella says:

Kathie, I don’t know how I missed this post. . but I saw the pictures now and read the words and it is indeed a beautiful piece of art.

2. Home Again says:

I always enjoy your Fav Fives. but you had me mixed up for a moment…You are really enjoying your camera. I love looking at the details of your photos.I love molasses.

3. Julana says:

I need to stock up on bird feed. . . . .

4. Mary Smith says:

Kathie, I am so excited to discover that you are Canadian and from P.E.I., the place that I dream of visiting! It seems that two Canadians from opposite parts of the country can share the same joys. I love snow so much and birds too. We don’t have the Blue Jays here. We have the Steller’s Jays. What fabulous photos!!!

5. Brenda says:

Those are beautiful pictures! I especially like the cats.

Hi Kathie! What a beautiful post with so much loveliness for the eye! I’m not getting much time at the computer while I’m in Washington. Have a wonderful weekend!!

I think I need you to take slimming pictures of me! :v)What a wonderful list Kathie. Now I’m off to read the post and look at those recipes.

8. Barbara H. says:

What gorgeous pictures, especially the chickadees. Great list!

9. Jenny says:

I love the pictures of the chickadee at the feeder. We usually have cardinals at our feeder but I always seem to startle them when I move in for a photo.

10. Willow says:

Great list this week again!Jane Brocket of yarnstorm blog recently published a book of recipes originating from children’s books. The title is Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer.

11. kelli says:

Beautiful pictures and beautiful list!

12. DD ~ Yes there are some lovely food descriptions in Anne of Green Gables and some very funny ones too – such as the currant wine and the mouse in the cream jug scenes! I haven’t read Angela Brazil – I’ll look her up. My sister had a few Blackie annuals as well as Girls Own annuals – I remember liking them. I was going to mention Bilbo and Ratty and Mole in your comment section but I was afraid to get going in case I couldn’t stop 🙂 Of course for food descriptions we can’t leave out Farmer Boy – I think that is one of the most descriptive of all. Oh yes, Elizabeth Goudge’s Little White Horse and …see I told you – once you get me going on children’s lit I just can’t stop!Glad you enjoyed it RObin!Hey Lorna – let’s both work on it. I figure I’ll have great practise when Sarah heads on her mission trip 🙂

13. Lorna says:

Kathie – I LOVE your pictures … you do such a nice job. Also, I read that article on being thankful. Oh how I wish I could remember to do that BEFORE I start worrying. With God’s help, something to strive for :>) !

14. robin says:

What a beautiful list!! Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed that!!

15. Dulce Domum says:

Hi KathieI was thinking about the comment you made on my blog about food and children’s literature. Now, it’s been a long time since I read Anne of Green Gables, but doesn’t food feature in it? Marilla’s pantry was choc full…or am I imagining it?

16. kelli says:

Beautiful pictures and beautiful list!

17. DD ~ Yes there are some lovely food descriptions in Anne of Green Gables and some very funny ones too – such as the currant wine and the mouse in the cream jug scenes! I haven’t read Angela Brazil – I’ll look her up. My sister had a few Blackie annuals as well as Girls Own annuals – I remember liking them. I was going to mention Bilbo and Ratty and Mole in your comment section but I was afraid to get going in case I couldn’t stop 🙂 Of course for food descriptions we can’t leave out Farmer Boy – I think that is one of the most descriptive of all. Oh yes, Elizabeth Goudge’s Little White Horse and …see I told you – once you get me going on children’s lit I just can’t stop!Glad you enjoyed it RObin!Hey Lorna – let’s both work on it. I figure I’ll have great practise when Sarah heads on her mission trip 🙂