It’s Friday Fave Fifty– oops, I mean Five
I got carried away
I couldn’t stop.
So many things make me happy:
- a baby’s kiss
- a husband’s love
- my boys laughing
- my girl dancing
- my kitties purring
- my pup burying her nose in the snow and then flinging it up in the air
- colours – what is it? I don’t know red, blue, yellow, green, purple, all make me happy
- memories – my mom picking brown-eyed susans along an Island country road
- words – like lovely and lullaby and linger
- light streaming in the kitchen windows
- a sunrise, a sunset, the deep purple of twilight
- breathing in the salt air with the summer sun warm on my face
- music – listening
- singing harmony
- acappella voices
- playing guitar, harp, piano, violin – makes me sing inside
- drawing – pencil lines connecting to create a likeness
- and learning how to add colour
- shapes, contours, curves, looking for details – seeing things in a new way – fresh perspectives
- friends – laughing and crying together
- a tight hug
- books – reading a good story that draws me in – so that I could recognize the character walking down the street and saying, “Hi Jo”. (of course you know that book:)
- working with food – cutting carrots and seeing the yellow core against bright orange, the pink circles in deep red beets, the feel of dry onion peels and the pungent warm spicy smell of cardamom
- the touch of skin to skin
- the feel of warm silky beach sand running through my fingers
- the curling coolness of ocean’s edge on my feet
- the smoothness of sea glass washed and polished by how many waves? I could never guess – over and over until all sharp edges are gone.
- lessons from nature like # 26
- and rain softens hard earth and tears soften hard hearts
- and mountains are impossible to move with human hands but faith will move mountains of impossibility like tossing a pebble in the sea
- and that’s my God who said that – and He is the source of all happiness in my life
- I smile when I think of Him
- the sun beaming down on me feels like His blessing
- the moon and the stars in the night sky are like His nightlight
- always shining somewhere – no darkness even when obscured by clouds
- and that’s faith
- and that also makes me happy – because it is the best of gifts.
- I have almost 52 years of living – that’s worth celebrating!
- more things – candlelight flickering on a winter evening
- birthday candles and the memory of my children’s shining faces as they blow them all out.
- walks on a summer evening with the scent of salt drifting in from over the strait
- long walks on the beach in the early morning with the mist hovering over the sea
- rambling walks in the autumn kicking through crimson, golden, burnt sienna leaves
- winter walks where the sun shines so brightly that the whole world seems to shine with glory
- spring walks with the fresh smell of rain and earth waking and green growing things.
- a daughter whose soul is being stretched
- to hear my children are walking in the truth – I know no greater joy than this.
- the gift of being alive
- and knowing that it is not just for here – for now – but for eternity
- and giving thanks for endless gifts
Now I am going to leave you with this sweet, quirky little music video. I was listening to it while I typed out my happy list. It’s sure to make you smile!
The video was created by Andrea Dorfman. The music is written by Tanya Davis. I had watched this video before but hadn’t realized that Tanya Davis is a Prince Edward Islander. Her album “Gorgeous Morning” is up for an East Coast Music Award this weekend. Hope she wins!
Wishing you a weekend filled and overflowing with things that make you happy.
PS – To join in the Fiday fave 5s, drop over to Suzanne’s at Living to Tell the Story.