Welcome to

the weekly review of our favourite things hosted by the lovely Suzanne.

I thought I’d write about a few of the signs of spring

that I’m enjoying up here in this tiny corner of the world.

Oh, there we are!

(just as an aside – notice that PEI is #1 on this map that I found on Google.
We’re such a tiny province. We never get to be #1. I just had to post it 🙂

As lovely as it is to live here,

I must admit it’s challenging to be a blogger from Prince Edward Island this time of year.

All over the blog world, people are bragging

(oops! just a slip of the fingers – honest! 🙂

I meant to write,

people are blogging about signs of spring.

Beautiful blossoms, green grass, birds returning, walks in the warm spring air …

Does anyone really want to see this? I mean, a snow-covered road?

Oh well, this is March on PEI

and a walk on a snow-covered road is #1 on my list of favourite things this week.

This is an unplowed country road, only snow-mobilers and cross-country skiers use it in the winter.

The snow is packed down and it makes a perfect trail for walking.

There weren’t any obvious signs of spring there yet,

other than the warm sun on my face

and the call of wild geese from a pond nearby.

But then I turned a corner and saw these …

2. Another sure sign of spring.

Peeps!

*grin*

(gotcha!)

In case you think we’re totally covered in snow up here,

I had to show you this little hopeful sign of spring:

#3 on my list of favourite things

Remember the Friday Fave that I posted last fall?

I was so right when I wrote:

Hope ~ Bulbs are all in, tucked under a blanket of earth, ready for a long winter’s sleep.
And then… what pleasure they’ll bring next spring!

4. Indoors,  I’m enjoying this spring prelude …

My indoor garden is in full bloom.

On the kitchen table, I have a mason jar filled with fresh-cut tulips

and I plan to keep buying them from our local greenhouse until my outdoor garden blooms.

I love this gorgeous shade of pink!

Finally, #5 on my list –

I hung a new suet bird feeder this week,

hoping to attract a certain visitor to our bird feeder tree.

and I was successful!

It’s a Downy Woodpecker ~ I think.

I’ve checked this page.  You can tell the bill is shorter than the Hairy Woodpecker

and it looks as if there are some black bands on the outer white tail feathers.

As the TV doctors would say, do you concur?

Little Jack ~ spring-time sunning

Well  … there you have it!

Early springtime on PEI.

Don’t you agree that it’s a challenge to spot it??

But let me tell you …

you probably won’t find a people more appreciative

of a sunny day,

or the sound of trickling water,

or a tiny tulip shoot

than Prince Edward Islanders.

Happy first day of Spring!

PS – for more Friday Favourites, join the fun over at Suzanne’s.

19 thoughts on “of size and signs

1. Nan says:

PEI will ALWAYS be number one in my book. The hairy is quite a bit bigger than the sweet little downy. New Englanders are right there with you in appreciation. :<)

2. cassie-b says:

I visited PEI a few years ago, and was ready to pitch everything and move there. what a beautiful place.Cas

Kathie,Just now I am sitting indoors (after being at the lambing shed) looking out the window and there is snow, snow, snow (at least a foot). And it’s still snowing and blowing. I hope you don’t have to have it next, but….. Signs of spring will have to wait awhile at my house, but just yesterday it was 75* and sunny and nearly hot. Ah…..such is spring in the North Country.Great pic of the Downy!Jody

4. Susan D says:

Just popped over here from Stuck in a Book.Thanks for sharing all those Vernal Equinox pics. On Thursday I spent a few invigorating hours raking up last year’s leaves from the yard (east end Toronto) and discovered the tiny little shoots peeping up through the soil.Of course PEI is #1. The Cradle of Confederation, n’est-ce pas?

5. Judy says:

PEI is #1 on my list as well…it’s my number one province that I still need to visit! I think we are all anxioulsy awaiting spring this year. We are three weeks behind normal over here…and there is a chance of snow in the forecast once again. Great pic’s!

6. grammy says:

I am sure you will enjoy it soooo much when it finally gets there.

I wanna do what your kitty is doing! What a lovely spring post in spite of the road of snow.

8. Sara says:

I’m so glad little PEI got to be Number One on that map, and that you posted it! Hooray for Google maps…Love that last photo the best I think…..it makes me warm and cozy just seeing the cat sunning on the step like that.

9. Niki says:

Thanks for visiting me 🙂 We are further ahead into springtime in Eastern Ontario, but not much! I’m still waiting for our annual one or two March snowstorms. Lovely pictures. We visited PEI several years ago and loved it. (except for the jellyfish)Nikwww.ruralwritings.blogspot.com

Ahh yes! The appreciation of a nice day is so much more apprarent from folks that have winters like you! I love that appreciation….

11. Home Again says:

I hear your feet crunching on the road and loving every moment of it.Yea, you are #1. It’s about time. I keep thinking of you when they talked about the helicopter crash. My mind thinks east and it YOU….

12. carolyn says:

Hi Kathie, Love this post! ! I would love to have you come for a visit. Is this Tuesday afternoon good for you? Have a great weekend!Carolyn

13. Willow says:

Spring does look lovely in PEI! And I think you appreciate it more than we do, farther south.Oh, I love your peeps! Made me laugh!

14. Carrie, RtK says:

Happy Spring to you also – however that looks to you! =) (And yes, for the record, I WOULD love to see a snow covered road. For one day.)

15. What a fantastic list, Kathie!I think I want to live on PEI (actually, I’ve wanted that ever since Anne of Green Gables became a part of my life). But if I did move there, you guys would call me "from away," wouldn’t you? 🙂

16. Brenda says:

I love the picture of your cat, she looks so cozy. And those colorful birds, so funny. Nice post

17. Jerri says:

Ah, you had me with those peeps! Sorry if we’ve been bragging about spring. From what I hear PE Island is beautiful enough to make up for the late spring.I know you are "waiting in expectation" for spring, and it will surely come!God bless!

18. Lynn says:

I had to look twice at those peeps – I thought they were some sort of northern tropical bird (?) for a moment. Funny! I love the woodpecker, we put suet out for them and have a few different kinds as a result. I was watching one yesterday hop down the side of a tree – so interesting. Have a lovely weekend.

19. Barbara H. says:

What a lovely post! Congrats on being #1! :-)Those tulips are just gorgeous! I bought a spring bouquet from the grocery store last week — pink roses and mini carnations and white tulips — and loved it. I think I might make that more of a habit.All the pictures are so nice. Love the hope found in a emerging bulb!The peeps are cute. 🙂