“…Anne had

her little domain

in the

speckless order

one would expect of anyone

brought up by Marilla Cuthbert

and felt
that she could

gad
shoreward

with a

clear conscience…”

Anne’s House of Dreams Ch. 10

Risen

Shaped

Baked

Well, my house may not be in the

speckless order

one would expect of anyone brought up by Marilla Cuthbert

but

I have nine double loaves tucked away in the freezer.

My conscience feels very clear ~ maybe even a little smug 🙂

Besides, the sun is breaking through the clouds.

Speckless house or not,

I have a yen for a beach ramble.

So I’m off,

as Anne would say,

to

“gad shoreward”

*grin*

14 thoughts on “of bread and conscience

1. Carrie, RtK says:

I’m very impressed! And suddenly crave jam and butter! =)

2. carolyn says:

There is nothing like the smell of home made bread unless it is the taste. It was a good beach day today for sure-although I didn’t make it there yet. I think you might like a sea blue for your chair!Take care,Carolyn

3. Linda says:

I would opt for a beach ramble any day of the week. How blessed you are to have one within rambling distance!

Kathie,I wanted to tell you that my 22 year old daughter is re-reading the Anne books again. She’s enchanted (again) at 22 just as she was at 12.Jody

5. Tracie says:

Ahhhh, gadding about the beach and coming home to fresh baked bread – perfection!

Mmmm, I can almost smell them. Yummy. Have fun gadding shoreward! :v)

7. eija says:

Oh, by the way, I just finished watching another sequel of Avonlea 🙂 And now they’ve started showing Emily of New Moon. My kids are starting to show interest too, so maybe I’ll get them to read the books too.

8. eija says:

Mmm… wondering if I have some flour and yeast in the cupboard…

There’s nothing like fresh bread. Where did you get those pans? I’ve been looking for something like them for a long time.Jody

10. Ditto. What they said! : D

11. Niki says:

lovely bread…and a lovely written post!

12. Thanks Ellen! One of these days you’ll have to meander over to these shores and join me for a ramble. :)Nan – I think the double loaves are the old-fashioned way of making bread. I learned from Roger’s grandmother and mother. They always did it this way. I find that most Island farm women shape it in the same way. Now I’m off to check your link!

13. Nan says:

You are the only person I’ve ever met who makes your bread as I do, with the two balls. I learned it from my mother, and find it is the sure way to not have the dip in the middle that often happens in homemade bread. Here is an early post I wrote about bread:http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/01/tools-of-tradebread.htmlThank you for the pictures. I loved them.

Oh do enjoy your gadding about the shore…The bread looks amazing…