Why hello there!

It’s good to see you again.

It is the last day of July – the height of the summer season here on the Island.

As a child, summer seemed endless ~ one long golden day after another.

I can remember sitting on the porch, hot sun on the back of my neck, the drone of insects and heat waves shimmering in the air. Tanned legs and bare feet so toughened that I could run across hayfield stubble without flinching. The biggest problem was whether my brother and I could find enough pop bottles to cash in for an ice-cream bar. The biggest decision was whether to get an orange creamsickle or a fudgebar. 🙂

Now the days seem to slip by so quickly ~ but that shining child-like wonder remains.

I am learning not to grasp it ~ because it’s true “that nothing gold can stay

Instead, I store it my heart, knowing that everything lovely, and everything beautiful, is a reflection of the One who is infinitely more lovely and beautiful. Everything golden is found in Him and each day a gift that brings me closer to Him.

That’s why it makes me so happy to share five of my many shining moments this week with you.

1. Beach days ~ This little one was having so much fun digging with a bright yellow shovel.

2. A shining red dragonfly, with its two sets of translucent wings, on my car antenna.

3. Dusky blueberries growing wild in our backfield – gathered fresh each morning for breakfast.

4. The sweet scent of wild roses – blooming in fields and ditches all over the Island.

5. Summertime in the city ~ outdoor cafes, live music and wandering tourists.

I like to join them and pretend I’m “from away”. 🙂

Well, I hope you enjoyed my golden moments in this week’s Friday Favourites.

The morning sun is shining through my kitchen windows and I need to pack my beach bag – this afternoon I’m heading to the shore along with dear friends and my practice grandboy!

Pure gold!

with love and thanks for you,

PS

For more

drop over and see Suzanne at Living to Tell the Story.

15 thoughts on “golden days

1. jill says:

We have the same wild rose! So fragrant…and perfect with balsam. Thanks for sharing your lovelies!

2. I love your blog, it’s so peaceful 🙂 And you are right, to a child summer is endless. 🙂 But us moms are the busy ones. 🙂 Love the picture of the dragonfly! I always think they are so beautiful.

Thanks for a peek at "Summer Gold" on The Island.I always love visiting you here.jody

4. Cedar says:

Home from camping and catching up on my blogger friends,… love that shot of the blueberries. We had some growing on our campsite and found enough for pancakes a couple days ago. Your views of the ocean are magnificent. PEI is a must do for me. Maybe next summer!

5. Joanne says:

Lovely!Summer is grand on the Island! I recognize that pic of the cafes….taken from the steps of the library!Wish I was there again!Someday….Enjoy!Joanne

6. Jerri says:

Wonderful post, Kathie! You are so right, golden memories are treasures to pull out time and again. I’ve got quite a few myself! Loved your photos, especially the practice grandboy!

7. Willow says:

Golden times, yes! And the gold too will burn so let’s just enjoy our days and not hoard them. Love your attitude.Love your faves this week too. Any post with a beach in it wins me over!

I think this was the loveliest written Fave Fives you’ve ever done Kathie. Beautiful thoughts. And pictures. I wish I could join you at the beach or at those outdoor cafes. And what are you doing with the Alberta Wild Rose in PEI? ;v)

9. Home Again says:

I love all your pictures, but the last one caps it off. Enjoy the beach with your true gold practice boy….

10. Brenda says:

I have to agree with you, "pure gold". I like to pretend I am a tourist in San Francisco too, its kinda fun. That dragon fly pic is amazing

11. Looking at your pictures and reading your post brought me such peace. I love the beach picture–amazing colors and sentiment. Wow. Thanks for sharing your week!

12. Linda says:

Lovely words and beautiful pictures. It is so true Kathie – we cannot somehow grasp them and keep them from slipping away, but we can treasure them in our hearts – these precious memories.

Wonderful savoring, Kathie. I know what you mean about the fleeting moments. Photos and blog posts are a wonderful way to keep remembering. I like that you have acknowledged the Giver of all things golden.

14. Sweet Bay says:

Lovely post. Summer on Prince Edward Island looks and sounds wonderful.The blueberries and roses are beautiful.

Beautiful moments for sure! Your blueberries look fabulous! Enjoy the beach this afternoon! I’m actually cool this morning…yippee!!