these thoughts:

“. . . One day I realize I am skimming the surface of everything. There is but hollow pleasure in too crowded weeks. Real rewards come from engaging in fewer activities and experiencing each one more deeply. Loss of alertness and freshness of approach tell me to slow up. Life is best when it is a balance between activities and intervals of aloneness. In the intervals we are able to deepen the meaning of the activities.

The days I like least are those when I pass through my environment superficially almost as if it were a stage backdrop. I scarcely see anything except what needs doing at the moment. Meals become just something to get and nothing has depth. This is living “two-dimensionally.”

In contrast, when I am not pressed by a push of events I move more slowly and savour each moment. Every activity becomes a feature in itself and the simplest routine has its own joy. I feel the texture of the blanket when making a bed, and it is good. I feel the soil when I am repotting a houseplant and it is good. I listen beyond words to what people mean. I look at the sales person in the store and really see her. I have time to write the author whose book I have liked, and I telephone my dinner hostess to tell her how much we enjoyed the evening. This is living “three-dimensionally” – going that extra mile, doing all the things you are not required to do, but which give added meaning.

Living this way you see not only your goal but the path that leads you there and all the little flowers and ferns that grow along its edges.”

p. 198-9 The Shape of a Year  Jean Hershey

I have always wondered why I am irresistibly drawn to take pictures of the tiny details

a tendril on a rose hip

the curl of bark on a white birch

the way the morning light falls on the cupboard door

I think this quote by Jean Hershey explains it, at least partially.

Noticing the tiny – the small exquisite details – is part of that “three-dimensional life”.

There is so much more to it of course.

It’s really a way of living in the present – a way of attending – to God, to others, to yourself, to nature,

finding beauty in the everyday,

and

giving thanks.

I love Ann V’s encouragement in this area.

Join her and the gratitude community

and

we’ll savour life together.

9 thoughts on “savouring

1. Linda says:

What a perfect quote Kathie. It is so true and really expresses the way I feel. When I have to rush through my days I have such a sense of missing something essential. Thank you for sharing this.

Love the details too! It is good to go the extra mile :0)

3. Lorna says:

I loved that excerpt. It is so easy to get caught up in the (encouraged) hustle and bustle and think that slowing down is wrong. I need to read this often … and believe it :>). Thanks –

4. Josie Ray says:

Kathie, thanks for your kind comments at my blog. What a great idea to get the cookbook from the library! It’s very hard to put into words how much fun one gets out of reading something, so I’m thrilled that some of the real delight of that book came through.

5. Sara says:

A beautiful quote. I must add this book to my list! When I was still working and constantly under pressure, it was always in noticing the tiniest amazing details here and there that helped me step back into the three-dimensional life, if only for moments at a time.

6. beth says:

Lovely, thoughtful quote, Kathie. Oh, to live three dimensionally day in and day out, even in the midst of full lives…and to know when to say no so that there is time to notice.

Kathie,I really love the Hershey quote and your detailed pictures.Jody

Loving how you’re savouring your three-dimensional life 🙂

9. Josie Ray says:

Beautiful. What Jean Hershey describes is being truly alive. Thanks for the reminder to live life fully awake.