as promised!

• 3/4 cup shortening (or butter)
  • 1 cup brown sugar (or half white and half brown)
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 2 and 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves (my own addition)
  • 1 tsp soda

Cream shortening and sugar – add egg and molasses. Mix dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture.

Shape in balls, dip in white sugar, press down lightly with a fork and bake at 350 for 8-10 min.

A century old (or more) recipe from Roger’s grandmother “Nannie” – written in her own handwriting and given to me almost 33 years ago for my wedding recipe box.

Enjoy!

9 thoughts on “Spicy Ginger Crinkles

1. belleffocky says:

hello Just saying hello while I read through the postshopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

2. Yum!!! I am going to try them this weekend!! Sound great, and easy. I think I will buy those bigger, decorative sugar granulars to sprinkle on the top. Too bad I can’t smell them on your blog also. ha ha

3. Sweet Bay says:

I’ll have to try this recipe with Christmas coming up!

4. Judy says:

It’s cookie season…and you’ve got me wishing for the aroma of baking gingersnaps. Thanks for sharing.

5. kelli says:

oooh! i friend and i just made these the other day, but i didn’t even think about cloves. i will definitely be trying those next time:)

6. Niki says:

this recipe sounds wonderful, I’ll be sure to try it 🙂

7. Becky G. says:

Oh, I’m going to make these soon! And cloves makes any cinnamon-y dish better. I’m about to make an apple cobbler and I add cinnamon and cloves to that, too!

I bet things were smelling lovely in your cottage while these were baking!! Thanks for sharing "Nannie’s" recipe :0)

9. Sweet Bay says:

I’ll have to try this recipe with Christmas coming up!