Hello everyone! Welcome to Friday’s Fave 5 – the first week of March edition!
1. Unpredictable! That’s the best way to describe March on PEI – a little trying when you’re on the lookout for signs of Spring.
But it makes for great weather talk ~ a favourite pasttime here on the Island.
The most common greeting in PEI is “Nice day!” or “Great weather!”.
It is theorized that weather talk is a way of overcoming natural reserve in conversation – breaking the ice – so to speak. But here on the Island most people like to talk weather even if they’ve known each other all their lives.
We not only like to talk about our own weather – we like other people’s weather.
“Big storm out west” or “Oh those New England states are getting it fast and furious, aren’t they?”
There has been a lot of weather talk on the radio for the last two days. Yesterday the wind was high and there were power outages along with snow and drifting.
And today? Blustery winds and a mixed bag of precipitation – sleet, freezing rain, rain, slush, snow, rain, slush, freezing rain . . .
Welcome March! You give us a lot to talk about 🙂
2. A PEI March is beginning to warm up a little. We don’t usually have any bitterly cold weather. Our usual heating method, an airtight stove, is almost too much.
But a cozy fire in the fireplace is just perfect for this time of year ~ for a little bit of heat and for toasting a marshmallow or two.
3. Pie-making was on the agenda this week.
It’s not an everyday dessert around here, but the band boys came home for a visit and that calls for a celebration.
So, I pulled out the rolling pin and made some favourites. Lemon meringue and homemade butterscotch. I’ll post my butterscotch pie recipe soon – it’s too good not to share.
4. We had a delivery of fresh brown eggs from our next door neighbour a few days ago. Perfect for mile high meringues.
5. A little visitor came to call yesterday.
Our friends, Matt, and his little sister Rebecca, brought over their sweet new puppy for a visit.
I didn’t notice Ruby’s reaction until I loaded the picture. Note the little claws.
Sophie, on the other hand, was having so much fun, I couldn’t get a clear picture.
Ruby looks a little more relaxed in this shot.
But we were holding her paws ~ just in case 🙂
* * * *
Hope you enjoyed these few snapshots from my week.
Thanks so much for coming by!
For more Friday favourites, visit Suzanne at Living To Tell The Story.