Hello everyone! Welcome to Friday’s Fave 5 – the first week of March edition!

1. Unpredictable! That’s the best way to describe March on PEI – a little trying when you’re on the lookout for signs of Spring.

But it makes for great weather talk ~ a favourite pasttime here on the Island.

The most common greeting in PEI is “Nice day!” or “Great weather!”.

It is theorized that weather talk is a way of overcoming natural reserve in conversation – breaking the ice –  so to speak.  But here on the Island most people like to talk weather even if they’ve known each other all their lives.

We not only like to talk about our own weather – we like other people’s weather.

“Big storm out west” or “Oh those New England states are getting it fast and furious, aren’t they?”

There has been a lot of weather talk on the radio for the last two days. Yesterday the wind was high and there were power outages along with snow and drifting.

And today? Blustery winds and a mixed bag of precipitation – sleet, freezing rain, rain, slush, snow, rain, slush, freezing rain . . .

Welcome March! You give us a lot to talk about 🙂

2.  A PEI March is beginning to warm up a little. We don’t usually have any bitterly cold weather. Our usual heating method, an airtight stove, is almost too much.

But a cozy fire in the fireplace is just perfect for this time of year ~ for a little bit of heat and for toasting a marshmallow or two.

3. Pie-making was on the agenda this week.

It’s not an everyday dessert around here, but the band boys came home for a visit and that calls for a celebration.

So, I pulled out the rolling pin and made some favourites. Lemon meringue and homemade butterscotch. I’ll post my butterscotch pie recipe soon – it’s too good not to share.

4. We had a delivery of fresh brown eggs from our next door neighbour a few days ago.  Perfect for mile high meringues.

5. A little visitor came to call yesterday.

Our friends, Matt, and his little sister Rebecca, brought over their sweet new puppy for a visit.

I didn’t notice  Ruby’s reaction until I loaded the picture. Note the little claws.

Sophie, on the other hand, was having so much fun, I couldn’t get a clear picture.

Ruby looks a little more relaxed in this shot.

But we were holding her paws ~ just in case 🙂

*   *    *   *

Hope you enjoyed these few snapshots from my week.

Thanks so much for coming by!

For more Friday favourites, visit Suzanne at Living To Tell The Story.

Happy weekend!

18 thoughts on “Friday Faves – welcome March!

1. mary smith says:

Aw, what a sweet, sweet puppy!

Love that portrait of the brother, sister, and your daughter. Cute expressions on the animals, too 🙂

3. Lana G! says:

The puppy is adorable! Love the reactions from the other critters!! Sweet!

4. Willow says:

Your FFFs are so very peaceful. Thanks! I needed a peek at a peaceful place this evening. Poor little kitty! Those big doggies can be really scary!

5. Brenda says:

Those dog and cat pictures are adorable! The cat does look rather put out. Your pies look/sound wonderful also.Sounds like a great week.

The weather is all the topic here too. Because we’ve had such a long, cold winter, a sunny sky brings lots of smiles and good cheer in the conversations, but today we are back to drizzle, freezing rain, snow and ice. Warmth will come….eventually.I love your pictures this week….especially the pie crust going into the plate and the eggs. Both things I love to eat!Happy March!Jody

7. LeAnn says:

Oh, I loved that last picture of the dog and the cat! Too cute!!! I especially love the darling face on the cat, it just makes me smile. 🙂

8. Hazel says:

What an adorable pooch! and Ruby is cute! 🙂 It only became clear to me a couple of minutes into your FFF post that you are living in PEI. How charming is that! I guess I’ll never get over Anne Shirley until I get to visit PEI one day. Oh I’ve been to your About Me too. It’s fun to read, although I admit I haven’t finished it yet. But piano, books, travel with a loved one – what a wonderful life!

9. jill says:

Oh I can just imagine the puppy breath. I LOVE puppy breath!Perhaps you can make it up to Ruby by taking her to the spa in Denver that I posted about. My boy cats nixed the idea, but Ruby might enjoy it.Eight inches of snow last night, and it has almost all melted away already. Yes, March weather is certainly changeable!

I did enjoy each and every photo. So glad the band boys dropped around for pie and a visit!! That is such a funny shot of the kittens reaction to the pup. We are having sunshine here and close to 60 degrees weather…Have a wonderful weekend

11. Niki says:

I Love your Friday Fave 5…My husband loves Butterscotch Pie, so I will be looking for that recipe, and hope it includes your instructions for mile high meringue! I love that puppy too….lots of love today :)blessings,Niki

Too funny about Ruby. Sweet sweet dog.Weather is a huge topic all the time around here too because it changes so often and so quickly.The fire with the marshmallows looks very inviting!

13. Jientje says:

I always enjoy your fave Five’s and the pictures you post to illustrate your week. That pie sounds delicious although I’m desperately trying to stay away from sweet food for now. That fire looks so cosy and the puppy is adorable. I don’t think Ruby agrees with this though. Have a great weekend!

14. Faith says:

Your pics are fantastic as always :)You make PEI sound absolutely wonderful…it is sitll on our agenda of places to visit before the girls graduate from college!!Loved your list…..mmmmm….homemade pie…sounds divine! Happy Weekend

15. Jerri says:

Kathie, I always find it comforting to visit your blog. I love your pictures and your description of a way of life that seems to be increasingly hard to find! I vicariously join you as you toast marshmallows in the fireplace and serve the band boys homemade pie. Please keep sharing!

16. Lana G! says:

The puppy is adorable! Love the reactions from the other critters!! Sweet!

17. Hazel says: