at least it is mostly rain.

Occasionally, there is a flake or two of something else.

But, if you’ve been  A Sparrow Home reader for a while, you may have noticed that we do not mention the S**W word in April.

In March s**w is welcomed as poor man’s fertilizer.

But in April I am totally oblivious to any kind of white activity that may be going on outside my window. I do not acknowledge it. It is a mere blip on the weather radar screen.

Meanwhile, inside, it is a perfect day for a little bit of spring cleaning. I am emptying the bench that stores the mitts, hats and scarves. They are joining the winter boots down in the basement.

Because – hello – the daffodils are blooming and it is SPRING.

So there!

I am doing a bit of baking along with the spring cleaning. Nannie’s Boiled Raisin Cake is simmering on the stove. The house is filled with the spicy aroma of raisins, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.

It’s comforting.

Very

Especially if you happen to look out the window.

🙂

14 thoughts on “rainy day

1. Lots of specialists state that <a href="http://lowest-rate-loans.com/topics/mortgage-loans">mortgage loans</a> aid people to live their own way, just because they are able to feel free to buy necessary stuff. Furthermore, some banks offer car loan for young and old people.

2. Joanne says:

…."Because – hello – the daffodils are blooming and it is SPRING…."You are so cute! Love that!I still can’t believe that our weather has been so perfect….I am still holding my breath but savouring it nonetheless!Love your colourful teapot and hearty soup…so cosy and welcoming!Sending warm weather your way,Joanne

Well, you’re a better person than I because I totally whined about the "S**W" word for days! LOL.

4. Niki says:

I absolutely concur on the subject of s**w in April…inappropriate to say that least! 😉

5. jill says:

I want rain and will even be happy for some sn*w too if it will knock the pollen count out of "very high" range. We are supposed to get a major storm tomorrow, and I can’t wait!Let us know if the ash arrives. I’m hoping it won’t.

6. Sara says:

Strangely, it is raining over here too! But no chance of that s**w; much too warm for that! Rain, however, is rare, and therefore welcomed. Perhaps I should do some baking too!

7. Lorna says:

I think I can smell the cake, Kathie – YUM!!! Way to be positive – summer is just around the corner :>).

8. beth says:

Kathie,I have made Nannie’s cake quite a few times since you first posted the recipe. A couple of times I substituted dried cherries for the raisins. Oh, my! So delicious. Every time I make this cake, people rave.Enjoy your rainy day. I’ll hope with you that the s*w doesn’t make a prolonged appearance and you get back to daffodils and sunshine soon!

9. Judy says:

Though you may have s*w outside…it sounds like everything is sugar and spice indoors!

10. Anneliese says:

Well, May is almost here and the only whte blowing will be the petals from the trees, right?

Oye! I was wondering if you are experiencing any of the ash from the Iceland volcano??Maybe that’s why that stuff is out your window…Looks like you are using the time indoors very well!Blessings…

12. DonnaTN says:

I love raisin cakes and cookies. I clicked over for the recipe. Thanks so much for that photo..I can almost smell the raisin mixture on the stove!

13. Jientje says: