A big hello to everyone!!

I’ve missed you πŸ™‚

It’s good to be back on the Island – phew!  I can’t begin to describe how simply crossing the Confederation Bridge and driving onto Island soil settles me down deep inside.

I can remember when the Island only had ferry service – I would stand out on the deck straining for that first glimpse of red Island cliffs. Such a beautiful sight to this Island born girl. It’s a love affair, no doubt.

But don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed being “away”. We had a fantastic trip!

But there’s something about home and I’m sure you agree, wherever you live.

Anyway ~ welcome home to me and welcome to Friday’s Fave 5 to you!!

I’m sitting in my chair –  it’s a perfect summer day, bright and sunny, with a soft summer breeze  drifting in the open windows. I can hear birds singing. My coffee cup is filled to the brim with good strong brew and hot milk (yes every morning!) and now I’m ready to choose the highlights of the week.

oh dear . . . problems!

It’s almost impossible to choose. A myriad of pictures and stories! You’ll be hearing about it for a while.

Well, let’s start at the very beginning – a very good place to start πŸ™‚

1. The main reason we left our Island was to attend the wedding of our dear friends’ girl – Abbie is Rinda and Bill’s youngest daughter and just like a daughter to us as well.

It was a perfect day for the wedding.  Abbie was a gorgeous bride and I don’t know that you could find a happier couple!

2. Andy, the groom, is from Ireland and his family and friends flew over – the Island contingent made the trek across the border – and family and friends from PA joined in to create an incredible four day celebration. The wedding was held at the Dean’s summer home in the mountains of PA.

So fun to look at mountains for a change of scenery! And that creek is perfect for tubing.  Did I mention that little general store sells the most delicious ice cream? And that porch – well – there’s nothing like sitting there, looking out over the creek, and laughing with a bunch of Irish! They know how to have fun!

3. Next we were off to NJ for another visit. A golden sunrise greeted me from our friends’ deck.

A peaceful place for early morning quiet time and coffee.

Just a couple of kayakers, a few fishermen and this little duck kept me company.

4. Our next stop was quite a contrast! Our friends work in NY City so we headed into the Big Apple. I couldn’t help but think of Aesop’s fable of the town mouse and country mouse. πŸ™‚

It was quite an experience ~ we enjoyed it thoroughly! Stay tuned for more stories πŸ™‚

5. Finally, we arrived back home to discover that we hadn’t missed the lupins after all.

and to crown our return, the first peony bud unfolded in all its glory.

Happy sigh!

It’s good to be home.

Hope your weekend is filled to the brim with blessings

PS ~ For more Friday Faves visit our lovely hostess, Suzanne, and the favers at Living To Tell The Story.

Better yet, join the fun!

PPS ~ How do you like my new summer layout? I created the tile myself. It’s so hard to find a summery blue.

27 thoughts on “Friday Fave ~ Home Sweet Home

1. Kari says:

looks like you had a wonderful trip, but you are so right about coming back home – there is nothing like it.Love your sunrise photo and the duck – so peaceful.p.s love the blue.

2. Bev K says:

How nice to read of your travels and experience the highlights with you in the lovely pictures. I love your new layout too. So very "Island"Can you send some of that sunshine our way? It’s still so cold and rainy here!Bev

3. Anneliese says:

Always good to be home again! You take such beautiful pictures!

Goodness, Kathie! So much going on to see and do and taste and feel. The wedding looked lovely and your time in the States looked pretty filled with adventure. Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Nice to have you back. Love the pictures you shared of your wonderful trip. Looks like your flowers greeted you in their best dresses! :v)

Kathie,What a fantastic trip! I had to smile when I read, "Finally, we arrived back home to discover that we hadn’t missed the lupins after all." Whenever I am away from home, I’m hoping that I don’t miss the blossoming of some special flower in my garden. We recently took a quick weekend trip and before we left, a great, red poppy was waving in the breeze as we drove away — the first of the season.What a beautiful bride! I’m liking the new banner and blue edging here at Island Sparrow.Jody

7. Joanne says:

Hi Kathie,Welcome Home! You were sorely missed in blogland!I understand about the craning of the neck. I remember our excitement like it was yesterday, to see if indeed the soil was red across the bridge, and it was! Yes, there is no place like home, however, your photos tell me that you had an awesome time! Every one of them is a joy to study! Love the lake views, the peacefulness, the wedding photos, NYC etc.Congratulations to Rinda’s family!Can’t wait to see more photos!Thanks for sharing!JoanneP.S. Your changes on the blog look wonderful…..great header!

8. hip chick says:

Oh I forgot to say that being of Irish descent myself, I do know how much fun the Irish are!

9. hip chick says:

Oh what pretty pictures. They made me wish I was there! I even love the music! Our Peony’s and Lupines are gone now. You must be even further north than I am in New Hampshire.

10. Cindy says:

LOL, Hi Kathie,Nice to meet another FFF as well as another Island Girl. Why is the font so small? Hang on while I get my glasses. OK, I’m back. I just read your 106 of 126 posts, lol. I have guests coming down for breakfast this am and here I am trying to get to the end of 127? posts, thank you got to run

11. Cindy says:

Your right the couple look very happy and the wedding photos were great. I like your peaceful spot for morning coffee you captured it just the way it should be. Your lupin photos are fab, and same with the Peony- mine haven’t opened yet…Have a great Week.

12. Willow says:

You’ve had some adventures! What a contrast in your destinations!The lupins and peony were the perfect welcome home banners!

13. Niki says:

Welcome back, what a wonderful whirlwind of a trip πŸ™‚ The layout looks great, but even more amazing is the colour in your flower shots, Incredible!!! (esp. the Peony)

14. faith says:

ah…..you were in NYC….I am only about 2 hours north of there :)love your pics…can’t wait to hear more about your trip……lupins are out on sides of roads up in our mountains now too. My peonies are done blooming tho…mine were white…they are in full bloom the month of May here. I would love to get some that are like your pink! so pretty…..happy weekend!

15. Deb says:

Yes, you were missed! I’m glad you had a wonderful trip…ooh, NJ is soooo close to VA….glad you are safe and sound back home.

16. Judy says:

Thumbs up…to the new summer lay-out! Beautiful photos…as always. Welcome back to your island!

17. Jerri says:

Love your new banner! I love the lighthouse, the quilt, the lupins, the swing … ok all of it.I thought of Anne of Green Gables when you said: "I would stand out on the deck straining for that first glimpse of red Island cliffs. Such a beautiful sight to this Island born girl. It’s a love affair, no doubt" I’m sure Anne felt the same way!

18. I agree that it’s always nice to come home. What a wonderful wedding and beautiful setting. Glad it went well. The flowers are gorgeous.

Love all your photos. Looked like a good day to be in NY. Your peony is gorgeous! Enjoy…

20. Wow you are right what a contrast NYC to the Mtn. of PA!!! Sounds like a fantastic trip. Trips are always great when you get to share them with good friends. πŸ™‚ That little general store looks adorable, those kind of places always appeal to me. Love the lupins btw!

21. Barbara H. says:

Sounds like such lovely visits! I love the quiet places more than the bustling ones, but they have their fun points, too.

22. Islandsparrow says:

LOL girls – I didn’t realize that I had published halfway through my post πŸ™‚ It was a surprise to see I already had 2 comments!!

23. Nan says:

What a great batch of pictures which really capture your trip! I couldn’t see the peonies, but especially loved the duck and the early morning.

Looks great so far…I’ll come back and see if 3, 4, and 5 appear for me. Glad you are home safe and sound enjoying a summer day!

25. Bev K says:

26. Anneliese says:

Always good to be home again! You take such beautiful pictures!

27. Deb says: