Hello there!

Welcome to the weekly review of blessings hosted by Suzanne at Living To Tell The Story

It’s the height of beautiful summer here on Prince Edward Island and it really is hard to narrow down the blessing list.

I have something that I’ve wanted to share with you for a while.  Something that began in the grey chill of November. It’s the kind of thing that you wouldn’t write about until you’ve established it as practice.

It has become such a rich experience –  definitely belonging in my Friday Fave Hall of Fame 🙂

Like many of you, I usually begin my day with Scripture – reading through the books of the Bible and various devotional writers and then a time of prayer.

But last November, I added something new, yet very old, to that daily discipline. I began my devotions with a timed period of meditating on Scripture. The same passage each morning – a slow, ruminating, pondering kind of reading.

The method is quite simple – I choose a passage and I begin to read. I read one line and I think about it. When my mind begins to wander I read it again. I move to the next line. I pray the words. I think about them. I chew on them like a dog chews on a bone. I stay with the same passage for a while –  a month or more.

Though the method is simple, I found the practice quite challenging especially in the beginning. My thoughts were easily distracted – wandering off on little side paths. But I kept drawing my mind back to the words of Scripture.

Even after 9 months, I’m such a novice. My mind still flits here and there like a butterfly.  But every now and then, I feel more like a bumblebee who burrows deep into the heart of the flower and then comes out covered with golden pollen.

A sweet, and totally unexpected blessing, fits right in with that analogy. These passages are “sticking” like golden pollen on the bee –  becoming part of me.  I’m memorizing them without trying – simply from reading them over and over.

I carry the words with me through the day and think about them when I wake at night.

For this Friday’s Fave, I’d like to share a few golden lines drawn from the passages that I’ve been meditating on since Nov.

1. Eph. 3:14-21 (Nov-Dec)

2. Jer 29:11-14 (Jan)

3. Ps 139 (Feb-Mar)

4. Ps 121 (Apr)

5. Isa 59:21- 60:1-5 (May)

6.  Ps. 84 (June)

7. Ps 62 (July)

Many blessings!

26 thoughts on “Friday Fave 5 ~ riches

1. faith says:

Thanks for sharing all of this!! I too have been trying to do more meditating on the Scriptures…i just started doing this in June…..it is much easier for me in the summer months when I am not rushing off to teach…..i am praying my job will still be part time come Sept 8 so that I can do this in the afternoons before my children get off the buses. And i started with the Psalms so many of those verses you have posted are ones I have been "chewing" on…also the one in Jeremiah you list as well as Jer33:3 (i think i have that correct!)….Blessings to you!!

2. Josie Ray says:

So well done! I especially am touched by 4 and 7. Thanks for all you do, so painstakingly.

3. Beth says:

Kathie,I have felt recently the need to move more slowly through Scripture, to chew, to mull, to camp out – so to speak – in a few words. Your description of your method is helpful. Spiritual discipline is just that, discipline, and i appreciate the way you have shared both the difficulty and the beautiful fruit. Gorgeous pictures, as always, but more than that, life giving words from the Father. Thanks, dearheart.

I really like your analogy of the bee burrowing deep into the flower for the sweet nectar and coming out with golden pollen on his feet. God’s word is sweet as nectar and it is as pure gold. I sometimes find myself reading a passage over several times, but have never done it intentionally as you are. I like the idea very much. The pictures and the scriptures you match them with are incredible.Thank you, Kathie.Jody

Beautiful Kathie!!

6. Candy says:

Kathie, Thank you for sharing from your morning time! I’ve been hearing/reading about lectio divina – and you described it beautifully.What a blessing your words and pictures are. I am reminded of Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things. I think that’s where I will start. Have a blessed day,Candy

7. Willow says:

Hi Kathie,Thanks for sharing your method of disciplined meditation. Excellent! And you found the perfect photos to go with the Scripture.

What a wonderful way to meditate on the Word. I like that there’s a structure to help you when your mind flutters sideways. Thank you for sharing these highlights from your readings and the glorious photos that accompany them.

9. Christine says:

I love your use of the word, discipline. Inferring active, not passive participation. "Discipline" keeps to the forefront teaching and learning. . Thank you for the reminder. Have a blessed weekend.Christine

10. Lorna says:

Awesome Kathie – definitely want to go back and reflect on this again. Thanks!

11. Laura says:

What a wonderful method. You make me want to try it! Thanks so much for sharing this. It was a real heart gift.Blessings!

12. karyn says:

first of all….gorgeous photos! second….thank you for this post. You have inspired me to begin to train my mind in this way as well.

13. Cindy says:

I find it easy to meditate on the North Shore, the sound of the waves distracts me, it is easy as I am the butterfly. change is a challenge , thank you for your post and your photos, beautiful

What a wonderful discipline you are developing! Loved your analogy of the bumblebee. And your pictures are breathtaking.

15. Sommer says:

How beautiful! Thank you for sharing that.

16. Joanne says:

Kathie,Your photos are just stunning and so lovely paired with the scripture verses.Thank you for your biblical encouragement!Beautiful!Joanne

17. TJ says:

Thank you…so very much..You share the most exquisite of the extra-ordinary in life that He has to offer.

18. Jientje says:

Beautiful post Kathie!

19. Niki says:

Kathie, this is wonderful. I think I will try it…what you’ve described has spoken to me.Blessings,Niki

20. Melissa says:

Thanks for sharing this idea. It would be a challenge for me, because I know my mind would wander, but I have no doubt that it would be worth the effort to focus.

21. Wonderful wisdom for this Friday. Thanks so much for sharing this. Some of those verses have been special favorites of mine, too.

22. hip chick says:

I love this idea. I have been feeling the need to add something to my morning devotionals. I think this is what I shall do. Thanks for the inspiration. Your photo’s are beautiful.

23. Brenda says:

Beautiful way to illustrate your blessings. I love it when people share how the Word of God comes alive to them.

24. Lori says:

I am a long timer lurker, but wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog especially the Friday ones. 🙂 Love the photos and today’s was extra special to me. I am going to use the meditating idea. I have been doing it some, but like your idea of a few verses for the month.Thank you for sharing this.God bless you!

25. Jerri says:

Thanks for sharing your method of meditating. I like the idea!I also totally love the pics you chose to illustrate your scriptures. Awesome!