A lovely way to spend a sunny October afternoon.

Time for applesauce, apple pies, baked apples and our favourite,  my mom’s Apple Crisp, perfect with French Vanilla ice-cream.

We like to add them to salads and cole-slaw as well – yummy and healthy to boot!

I found one of these at Value Village and I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

Want to come over and help make some apple sauce??

15 thoughts on “apple days

1. Sherrin Drew says:

What a wonderful set of pictures . . . I almost feel like I am in the orchard. Thanks for all the lovely things you share!

2. anneliese says:

Your apple photos are beautiful .. as always… i love anything with apples in it.. have frozen apples over the years, but the trees on my parents property have gotten so old thatwe have lost some. I freeze them in slices on cookie sheets and the put them in small bags. A small bag gets taken out to make crisp or just thrown in a pot to cook until its applesauce. Enjoy your harvest.

These apples are SO RED! The apples we grow around here do not look like yours at all. They look crisp and sweet. I'll bet you hardly need any sugar in your apple sauce.Jody

4. Oh, such beautiful photos.We are enjoying our apple baking too.

Those apple peelers are pretty handy dandy when you've got lots of apples to peel. Your post reminded me that my kids love baked apples with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon stuffed into where the core was. I might surprise them with dessert tonight.

6. Mary Smith says:

What a romantic apple orchard!

7. faith says:

mmmm…apple anything this time of year is just wonderful! I made a Swedish apple pie over the weekend…it's gone already of course :)Love your pics…and your blog looks so autumnal! have a great week…..

8. SueL says:

Oh, Kathie, your apple orchard photos are sublime – the first one especially! Is it your own orchard or one close to where you live? It took me back to L M Montgomery's "Anne of Windy Poplars (or Willows, depending on which edition)" when Katherine Brooke holidays with Anne at Green Gables and they spend a happy afternoon picking bushels of apples. I have an automatic apple peeler and corer and it is very handy for large batches, but I still peel by hand for single recipes as it's quicker just to hand peel and chop quickly. Best regards, SueL, South Australia.

9. Judy says:

Your apple pic's look fabulous! I'm still peeling my apples without gadgets…some old habits die hard.

10. Jerri says:

Oh I love apple days! I've always wanted one of those apple corer slicer peeler thingys … Let us know if it really works, please.

11. Cindy says:

Here is a pic of the strainer I have, never thought it was a rice strainer as well or called that. I only used it for apples and other stuff. I don't peel or core the apples just cut them up cook them and put them through this strainer and it works so well. If you ever see one of these at Vallue Village it is worth the money. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-juicer-strainer-colander-76078610

12. Cindy says:

I spent part of the day making applesauce. Go visit my blog and see what happened to Anna at the apple orchard it will give you a laugh she is so comical. I think I'll cut up the apples, bag the right amount into freezer bags and pop them into the freezer – a tip from a friend. Then just take out the apples later for pies, crisps, and a new recipe for apple cobbler, well it is peach cobbler but I'd like to use apples instead. Do you have an apple strainer? They make sauce simple. Beautiful apple photos as always your shots are amazing.

13. Lovella says:

Absolutely amazing apple pictures. . .My apples are not sooo red. .I think I need to go find red ones.

I really should make applesauce with the apples from my tree! Maybe next year. Love that orchard!!

15. Lovella says: