It’s Friday and time to join with Susanne as we count the blessings of our week!
1. My first favourite is only a memory now . . .
My impatiens bed beneath my mother’s day tree. Such a pretty sight! Until this . . .
A killing frost struck on Wed.
I don’t mind too much though – October is already 3/4 past and it’s time to tidy the beds before November’s cold winds make the chore a harder one.
2. This bright and sunny Monday made 2010 garden clean up a pleasant task.
The lavatera survived the frost and we couldn’t bring ourselves to pull them out.
They’re definitely on my garden list for next year.
3. Speaking of garden successes, I’m so happy with Niki’s Cinderella pumpkins and butternut squash. She kindly mailed the seeds to me last fall. I’d never grown pumpkins or butternut squash before so I wasn’t sure what to expect.
We had a huge, healthy patch ~ so gratifying to a gardener’s heart!
And beautiful too, with its deep glowing orange fruit and vibrant green foliage.
They’re also multipurpose.
4. which leads me to my next favourite ~ a yummy autumn soup!
Curried pumpkin soup with coconut milk.
I’ve made butternut squash apple soup before and the cooking process is very similar.
- Sauté onions, carrots, celery in a little olive oil. (I add garlic to the pumpkin soup but not to the butternut apple soup.)
- Add roasted pumpkin or butternut squash. (roasting brings out the flavour more than boiling)
- Then add liquid – chicken or vegetable broth, sometimes a little apple juice, sometimes coconut milk. Also, a little rich milk or cream.
- Next spices – curry, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Finally a touch of brown sugar and butter which makes everything taste good!
- Simmer until veggies are tender.
- Then puree soup in batches in a blender.
- Garnish with yogurt or sour cream if desired.
As you can see, I don’t measure anymore – I just taste and say “What does this need?”
It’s a little different every time but always delicious!
I also made a pumpkin swirl yeast bread this week – oh. my. goodness!!
Rave reviews from the fam!
Tune in next week for the recipe – I’m running out of room on my Friday list 🙂
5. My final favourite this week? Driving along sunlight dappled Island country roads.
No destination in mind
No rush 🙂
Simply an Island
Well . . . thank you so much for dropping in for a Friday Fave visit!
Hope your weekend is filled with beauty and blessings!