Welcome to this week’s edition of Friday’s Favourite Five hosted by the lovely Susanne at Living To Tell The Story.

Pull your chair a little closer to the woodstove and I’ll pour you a cup of hot tea. You’ll need it – we’re in a deep freeze. Record cold temperatures  – with the wind it feels like -37C (-34.6F). That’s cold! Even for hardy Canadians. 🙂 But the sun is shining brightly through the kitchen windows and the fire in the wood-stove is blazing, so we’re keeping warm and cosy.

Many lovely blessings to count this week starting with

1. a little visitor who came to our house last Saturday!

We read stories, sang songs, played peek-a-boo and took a “few” photos 🙂

It was a cloudy day but not very cold, so Auntie Sarah took Josie on her first sleigh ride.

Such fun!

2.  More photo sweetness! Sarah needed a few head shots for her Theatre Arts program. These were taken by my talented daughter in law, Dorothy.

I love them all but I think this sweet smile is my favourite!

3.  Indoor blooms! Very cheery on a cold winter day. I don’t even know the name of this plant but I’m sure Carolyn or Anne will know. I bought it at the grocery store a few years ago. It was blooming then, but this is the first time it has bloomed again. Such a treat!

4. Loving my art class! I’m an absolute beginner and it’s quite challenging. But I love to learn.

5. I have to add our hard-working wood stoves for my final favourite.

We have two stoves – one in the kitchen and one in the basement family room They keep the house lovely and warm even in these frigid temperatures. We haven’t had to turn on the furnace at all.

And of course a stove wouldn’t do much good if it wasn’t for my hard-working hubby! He keeps us well supplied with stacks of dry wood to burn.

The cold snap is continuing for the weekend but warmer weather is on the way. In fact, they’re calling for rain next Wednesday. That will be quite a change from this week!

Thank you so much for visiting! I love to see your names and read your comments.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Many blessings,

23 thoughts on “fff~ brrrr!

1. anneliese says:

Love that little sled! I’m glad you are all keeping warm!

2. Great pictures! And I believe the plant is a kalanchoe.

3. Willow says:

OH my! That IS cold. I can’t imagine. I will post more flower photos for you to warm you up!What a beautiful bunch of photos! I can imagine just how many pictures you took of your little cutie.

4. Kathleen says:

There’s my sweetie pie! 🙂 xo Kathleen

5. Karen Gaudet says:

Nice – a very" relaxing" look though! I’ll await next week’s edition!

6. Debbie Z. says:

Hi- I am a new reader to your blog. I just discovered it a month ago or so. I am a Christian woman who loves to read inspiring and honoring to God things that brighten my day, and your blog definitely does that! Thank you. I can tell that you are a lovely lady who has a pure heart. It sounds very romantic to me to live on Prince Edward Island, because, of course, I think of Anne of Green Gables and I loved those books and the movie series so much. It seems like very beautiful country but from the sounds of it, very cold right now. I live in Washington state and we have had temperatures in the 30’s but nothing colder so far this winter. Once again, thank you for your lovely blog and photos.

1. Kathie Macphee says:

Thanks so much for your sweet and encouraging note Debbie. I’m so glad my blog brightened your day. PEI is a very beautiful place to live even in cold weather! Thanks again!

Brrrr is right! We haven’t hit that bitter cold yet here in southern Alberta. In fact this week it was absolutely balmy for a few days with the temp actually getting above the freezing mark! The wood stove would definitely be a blessing in those cold times. And what a great stockpile of wood! Lots of hard work from your hubby in there!

First sleigh rides, how cute she is all bundled up. Love it.

8. I enjoyed reading your list and looking at your pictures. Your daughter is very pretty and your granddaughter is adorable! We also love our wood stove. How do you keep the area around your wood stove so clean? Ours is a mess :).

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a blessed weekend!

1. Kathie Macphee says:

Hi Urailak – you’re right – wood is warm and cosy but pretty messy. Our broom is in constant use!

9. Laura says:

Look at all that wood — that is one hard-working hubby! Love the pictures. I like the sweet smile, and the sleigh ride pictures are precious. Hope you have a great week ahead.

10. faith says:

LOVE your daughter’s smile…great head shots!! is she a Theater Arts major in college?Your granddaughter is getting so big…love her eyes and cute sled!the flowers are so cheerful reminding me of warmer days ahead.Wish we had a woodstove. I fear our gas bill! yikes….Enjoy the cozy weekend!! keep warm 🙂

1. Kathie Macphee says:

Thanks Faith! Yes Sarah is a Performing Arts major at Holland College. She loves her program.

11. Hi Kathie, I wonder why this isn’t coming up on my blogroll anymore. Lovely photos of your sweet grand daughter. What a beauty she is. Your daughter is beautiful too. I’ll be looking forward to the milder temperatures next week for sure. It’s just too too cold these days! If you can help me with getting your blog again I’d appreciate it. I’m wondering if I have to subscribe to it now. Thanks. Pam

12. Deb says:

That little visitor is definitely worthy of being #1 on your fff! She’s a cutie. And I agree…your daughter’s photos are lovely…i esp like the third one. Wow–what a woodpile!! That was a lot of work! It’s snowing here as I type, and the temp is 19 degrees! The cold snap is hopefully on its way out! I don’t think our gas logs put out as much heat as a woodstove though! Looks like you’re warm and toasty! ~Deb

13. Melissa says:

Your photos of Sarah and Josie are all beautiful! What gorgeous blue eyes!

Sophie’s markings remind me of the dog we used to have. She was half beagle, half springer spaniel.

14. Barbara H. says:

What a sweet little visitor! Love those pics of your lovely daughter, too — I agree that the last one is best.

Not having blooming things is one of the hardest parts of winter, but I am not great with houseplants, either. Sometimes my son will bring me flowers, and even less occasionally I’ll buy some just for a cheery spot in the house.

The wood fire sounds cozy. We have a gas fireplace that I thought I’d love (no ashes or mess), but it is not the same, and it smells bad. :-/

The art class sounds fun!

15. Gattina says:

Such cute pictures of the little one and the portrait is real good ! I think you have enough wood for your stove for the rest of the winter, lol !

16. Carolyn says:

Hi Kathie, Those are lovely photos of Sarah and Josie. It sure is cold isn’t it! Lucky you to have 2 woodstoves and a shed full of dry wood. The plant you asked about is a kalanchoe I think- a member of the succulent family.They make great houseplants.

Have a good weekend, Carolyn

1. Kathie Macphee says:

Thanks Carolyn – I knew I could count on you for the name!! xo

Your daughter is so photogenic — those photos really make her shine. Mmmm, wood fires 🙂 We have a (mostly decorative) gas log system that’s not nearly as atmospheric, but the cats LOVE it. The plant in your photograph is kalanchoe, a succulent that blooms really well indoors. I have a container of it that is bursting at the seams (time to divide, I think). Love the sunshine you’ve caught on the plant’s leaves and blooms.

1. Kathie Macphee says:

I figured you’d come through for me too Anne – it’s good to have gardener friends! Thanks!

18. I love all of the photos. What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your FFF today! <a href="http://www.weirblessed.com/simply">Simply God’s Girl</a>