1. January thaw – What a change one week can bring! Last week’s frigid cold and biting north wind morphed to rain and a wild south wind with temperatures around 12C-50F. The ground is completely bare except along the edges of fields and ditches and snowpiles left from clearing snow away.
Why, it’s been so warm that Josie, and her little friend Hazel, went for their first dip! Indoors, of course 🙂
Don’t they look cute in their bathing suits?
And in case you’re wondering why I start almost every Friday Fave 5 with a comment on the weather,check out this article – it’s a Canadian thing!
2. I first heard about Meyer lemons from Beth. Can you imagine growing your own lemon tree? It sounds very exotic to this Northerner! I really wanted to try them but I never saw them in our local stores until this week. I was excited! I’m told they’re sweeter than ordinary lemons and have a floral taste with a hint of lime.
I pulled out my favourite lemon recipe – lemon pudding cake – and Meyer lemons didn’t disappoint. It was delicious!
Meyer lemon water is very refreshing too.
I have a few lemons left and Jody’s Lemon Cloud Pie is next on my baking list.
3. Free audio books and podcasts. Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy baking? While I bake, I listen to books and podcasts. This week I enjoyed What Katy Did from Librivox and an inspiring Discipleship As You Go podcast about C S Lewis’s prayer life – highly recommended! Part 1 and 2 are up and I’m eagerly waiting the next instalment.
This week’s baking are all tried and true favourites – Sugar cookies, Nannie’s Boiled Raisin cake and Lovella‘s mother in law Pauline’s, Whole Wheat bread (pictured tucked up under a cosy quilt to rise).
4. Roger and I finally saw Les Miserables last night. I loved it. I cried. About a third of the way into the movie, Roger whispers to me “You didn’t tell me this was a musical . . .” ( I wondered why he agreed to come along)
5. And here’s my final favourite, this stunning sunrise.
All the sunrise pictures taken from our yard are over the graveyard. Makes me think of resurrection morning. The early birds got the worm, um . . feeder, that morning too! 🙂
Well, I hope you enjoyed my Friday Fave 5 list this week. Thanks so much for coming by.