Water Rat and I agree . . .

`Hullo, Mole!’ said the Water Rat.

`Hullo, Rat!’ said the Mole.

`Would you like to come over?’ enquired the Rat presently.

`Oh, its all very well to TALK,’ said the Mole, rather pettishly, he being new to a river and riverside life and its ways.

The Rat said nothing, but stooped and unfastened a rope and hauled on it; then lightly stepped into a little boat which the Mole had not observed. It was painted blue outside and white within, and was just the size for two animals; and the Mole’s whole heart went out to it at once, even though he did not yet fully understand its uses.

The Rat sculled smartly across and made fast. Then he held up his forepaw as the Mole stepped gingerly down. `Lean on that!’ he said. `Now then, step lively!’ and the Mole to his surprise and rapture found himself actually seated in the stern of a real boat.

`This has been a wonderful day!’ said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls again. `Do you know, I`ve never been in a boat before in all my life.’

`What?’ cried the Rat, open-mouthed: `Never been in a–you never–well I–what have you been doing, then?’

`Is it so nice as all that?’ asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.

`Nice? It’s the ONLY thing,’ said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING–absolute nothing–half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

The Wind in the Willows ~ chapter 1

14 thoughts on “happiness

1. Debbie Z. says:

Your first photo is so very beautiful. The composition is wonderful with the balance of the lighthouse and the kayak. I hope you don’t mind, but I am using it for the screensaver on my computer. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t ever use your photo in any way or take credit for it- I only want to enjoy it for a time when I sit down to work at my computer. I hope that is okay. Prince Edward Island looks like a beautiful place to live. Thank you, too, for the quote from Wind in the Willows. My grandma read that to me when I was young- a wonderful memory.

1. Kathie Macphee says:

I’m honoured that you’re enjoying it so much Debbie!

Look at you! I’m so jealous.

1. Kathie Macphee says:

Come join us!! 🙂

3. Jill says:

I get such a kick out of thinking about how much fun you must have out on the water like that! Also wondering how Miss J’s first birthday was celebrated. The first year went by way, way too fast!

1. Kathie Macphee says:

I hope to get that post up tomorrow Jill!

It looks like such a peaceful thing to do.

1. Kathie Macphee says:

It’s about the most peaceful thing in the world!

5. marg says:

And you are living it again…I never forgot your first post about kayaking in the ocean. It was so incredibly beautiful.And here it’s spring time and you are ready to hop back in the boat and have fun.

That first shot is just gorgeous, Kathie. Ah, dear Rat and Mole…

7. Rosella Leis says:

That is the way to spend a sunny Spring day for sure! How lovely….

8. beth says:

Love! Looks like so. much. fun!

9. What beautiful photos, Kathie. Especially the first one. Sitting that low on the water sure gives one a different perspective. Was it cold?

1. Kathie Macphee says:

The sun was warm – I actually had to take a layer off. My seat was a little chilly though as the cold was coming up through. Next time I’ll put a towel or little blanket down. It was a wonderful day!