Uncategorized

fff – May 10

Hi and welcome to  Friday Fave 5. I’m counting blessings with Susanne at Living To Tell The Story.

It’s been a busy week here with both sad and happy times.

1. Saying thanks, with tears, for the life of Dallas Willard. Biblically deep and insightful, wise and endearing, DW was like the grandfather I always wished I had 🙂  One of his friends said to be near him was like standing in a ray of sunshine. I could feel that warmth as I read his books and listened to his DVDs and online talks. Hearing God was the first of his books I read – many years ago now. And I’ve read The Divine Conspiracy several times – just lately with my dear friends Tonia and Beth. What wonderful discussions we’ve had via email. DW stretched our thinking, enlarged our vision and drew us closer to the One he spoke and wrote about so eloquently. He will be sorely missed.

2. Springtime blossoms ~ everything is coming alive here and it’s such a delight to go out every morning to discover what’s new!

3. The final celebration of our 1000 Gifts Women’s DVD Study. I’m sad to see it end. What a wonderful group of women!  And such a powerful study! Highly recommended.

4. Re-reading one of my all time favourite books ~ The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge.

I’ve done something different with this book.  I underlined favourite passages, writing dates and thoughts in the margins. A first for me! I think I’ve always had a librarian’s horror of writing in books – but my sister, who passed away in 2002, always wrote in her favourite books. Now I love coming across something she underlined or reading a note she jotted. It makes her feel so close. The Scent of Water has so many lines and passages that I love – here are just a few . . .

…a silver tankard of lilies-of-the-valley stood on an oak chest. The flowers and the polished silver gathered all the light to themselves…

There are three necessary prayers and they have three words each. They are these, ‘Lord, have mercy. Thee I adore. Into Thy hands.’ Not difficult to remember. If in times of distress you hold to these, you will do well.

Most of us tend to belittle all suffering except our own,” said Mary. “I think it’s fear. We don’t want to come too near in case we’re sucked in and have to share it.

5. A year in the life of Josephine Mae by Auntie Sarah. She wrote the first song in the video and called it “A Song for Josie”. Sweetness!

Hope you enjoyed my favourites this week. Thanks so much for dropping in!

Standard

20 thoughts on “fff – May 10

1. Marg says:

Dallas Williard was often referred to when I worked at ACTS Seminaries. We have also watched some of his DVD’s in our growth group.I loved that last video…How beautiful…and how much you love your little Josephine. Tomorrow I get to have my boys all day.

2. Oh such sweetness, k. I got all teary seeing your face (and Roger’s, too). Thank you for posting this! And Sarah’s song is absolutely lovely. So much beauty in your world. I’m glad.

3. Deb says:

Loved seeing all your pics and that sweet baby girl! That first year passed mighty fast didn’t it?? Looks like everyone there is having a good time with her, too. Always enjoy your FFF.

Lots of sweetness in your fives this week, Kathie. I’d downloaded DW’s Divine Conspiracy some time ago and hadn’t listened to it yet. Hoping to do so soon.

5. Sweetness she sure is! I smiled everytime I’m scrolling down and there is a picture of her. So precious!

I tend to underline and jot notes into non-fiction books that are really grabbing me. I forced myself not to in the book "Jesus – the Greatest Life of All by Charles Swindol" and now I’m regretting it. There were so many good quotes and sentences and now I guess I’ll just have to reread it to find them all. :v) The Scent of Water sounds really good. Love the quote about the three prayers.

Looks like the color is showing down your way! So lovely!

6. Josie is SO precious! I haven’t read The Scent of Water. Am putting it on my list! Your flower pics are just lovely. Have a great Mother’s Day!

7. Rosella Leis says:

Kathie- what a wonderful video of your sweet Josie’s first year – pure preciousness! Your books also sound like must reads. I very MUCH enjoyed your favourite fives! I need to read more and The Scent of Water must be on my reading list! Thanks for sharing.

8. Lorna says:

Oh my … LOVED the video of Josie. Katie and I enjoyed it together. Katie would love if Sarah could put together "the 24 year life of Katrina Dager." :>)

9. Susan says:

Oh my what a sweet, darling baby. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful video. And the music written by your daughter was really lovely.

I’ve always wanted to read Scent of Water but haven’t gotten my hands on a copy. Someday.

Beautiful posies. The Scent of Water is one of my favorite books too and the first two verses you underlined and shared here were ones I vividly remember and even wrote down in a Book of Favorites that I keep. I’m glad you’re writing in the margins and underlining.

11. Judy Wiebe says:

Beautiful video…sweet child…great smile and baby blues! We worked through Dallas Willard’s Divine Conspiracy with our small group…and were blessed.

12. I love seeing what is new every day when I look out this time of year.

Another friend of mine loves Elizabeth Goudge. I haven’t read her yet – that looks like a good place to start.

What a sweet memento to Josie’s first year! Not that she’ll ever doubt it, but what a joy it will be for her to look back on this in the future and see how well she was loved.

13. Love the video! Josie’s gigle made me giggle. What a special momento the video and song are.

Dallas Willard has been a favourite author of mine too. I never thought to do a book study through email.

So true – ‘“Most of us tend to belittle all suffering except our own,” said Mary.’ Maybe fear is not the only reason. Maybe it is also because we often fail to put ourselves into the shoes of the suffering person.

14. Hi Kathie, Lovely FFF today. I LOVED the video of Josie’s life thus far. I watched the whole thing with a big smile on my face. 😀 Josie is a such a cutie! Is that your son singing the song on the video? I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings, Pam

15. Oh my goodness! What a year of blessings and growth! LOVE the video! And all those adorable knitted things.Thanks too for posting the photo of forsythia. I had a bush in Oregon but here it doesn’t grow well–miss it!And yes, we will all miss Dallas Willard–how blessed we are to still have his words of wisdom to read.Finally, when I read Scent of Water, I turned back over and over to those three prayers. One of my favorite books.GREAT faves this week!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )