Photography

feathered friends photo challenge

This month’s challenge  ~ “Birds” ~ is the subject for “A Personal Photo Challenge” hosted by Donna.

This is my first time participating in the Photo Challenge and I want to thank Donna for the fun opportunity.

As anyone who reads my blog knows, my husband, Roger, and I love watching the birds.  We have several bird-feeders in a flowering crab tree right outside our kitchen windows.

I shoot with a Canon T3i and use my  EF 55-250mm telephoto lens for most bird shots. It helps to be able to zoom in without getting too close and disturbing the birds. I use a free photo editing program called Photoscape for quick edits. I also have an older version of Photoshop which I use for more complicated edits.

This first collage is from the archives. I took it in the spring just as our flowering crabapple tree was coming into bloom. The tiny ruby-throated hummingbird was a very obliging model for my photo shoot 🙂 Canada has five types of hummingbirds but the ruby-throated hummingbird is the only one we see in Eastern Canada.

I created the collage with a free online photo collage maker.

Another shot taken earlier this year. I am drawn to this photo because of the reflection captured in the chickadee’s eye. If you look closely, you’ll see our house. Chickadees are such friendly little birds they don’t mind close-ups 🙂

I took this shot a couple of weeks ago when friends and I had a picnic at Naufrage Harbour on the Gulf of St Lawrence. I was thrilled to see an eagle flying back and forth, almost at eye level, since we were on a high cliff above the shoreline.

Telephoto lens are very handy!  Post production edits included cropping, sharpening and adjusting the white balance.

Thanks for this opportunity Donna – I’m already looking forward to the next challenge!

Standard

18 thoughts on “feathered friends photo challenge

1. My goodness! Talk about great photography! This are AMAZING shots! Very, VERY good! I will following your blog for sure! So nice also to meet another fellow Canadian! Take care!

2. Beautiful collage of the hummingbird, Kathie. They are sometimes very difficult to capture as they are so fast. Love the chickadee close up and your house reflected in it’s eye. And a beautiful bald eagle.

3. Laura Mc Donald says:

Those photos are just spectacular! But then I always enjoy seeing your images and hearing about PEI! I hope you continue to enjoy your summer!

4. Jeanne Smith says:

Kathie, good to meet you. I love each and every one of your photos but I am so partial to Eagles in flight. Any bird in flight. I just love wings. The Chickadee shot is one of a kind.

5. Vee says:

Oh wow! I am so glad that you learned about this challenge and am honored that it was via my blog. Your photos are delightful! The chickadee with his eye on your house…well, amazing. The eagles are glorious flying above the water that way. You live in God’s country so the water challenge will be a terrific one for you. ( I think that I need to get started early! )

6. Lavender Cottage says:

Cute shots of the hummers and I like the collage you created. The chickadee is awesome, especially since you caught your house reflection in its eye. I’m always intrigued by the eagles, look at that big wing span!

7. Donna Martin says:

Thanks for joining in, Kathie! I’m glad you found out about it from Miz Vee and then decided to participate! You have a terrific assortment here of wonderful shots. I’m so glad that you included a collage because yours demonstrates how to successfully integrate a complimentary background. It looks like you planned ahead when you composed the shot! The closeup of the chickadee is amazing. I saw the house reflection before I read your words, LOL. And the eagle shot is so majestic. Catching it in mid-flight is very hard to do!

Wonderful! Yes, telephoto is a handy for bird photography. I just got my 70-300mm but haven’t tested it out yet. It’s just too close for most of my other subjects (um, food, cats, and flowers!).

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )