1. There’s a whole of happiness going on in the kitchen today. I’m making Carolyn’s delicious sugar cookies for a Valentine’s Day treat. Mmm mm!
They make pretty little Valentine hearts with some icing and pink sugar sparkles sprinkled on top. Add a slice or two of Nannie’s Boiled Raisin Cake and a certain Valentine in this household will be perfectly happy!
Here’s Carolyn’s recipe. If you have time, drop over to visit her blog. It’s beautiful!
2/3 cup of shortening or lard
3/4 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
4 teaspoons of milk
2 cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Cream the first two ingredients & then beat in vanilla, egg, and milk.
Whisk the dry ingredients together, add to the shortening or lard mix.
Beat until well mixed. Chill for 1 hour. Roll & cut with your favorite cookie cutter.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
2. It always makes my heart happy to wake up to a bright sunshiny day. We’ve had a few frost-covered mornings this week. The sunlight sparkling on the pure white snow is breath-taking. Hard to capture with a camera but I gave it a good try (over 300 pictures!)
2. We’re keeping the feeders filled for the backyard birds. They need their fuel especially in these cold winter days. They’re fascinating and beautiful little creatures and well worth their keep!
3. It’s always a fun adventure to drive around the Island in search of photo ops. I’m never sure where I’ll end up, but then you can’t go too far when you’re surrounded by water and/or ice. Pinette wharf is only a few minutes away from our home. The colourful shed doors caught my eye as I was driving by and I had to stop. Blue sky, pristine snow, brightly painted doors = happiness.
5. My heart gave a happy leap when I heard the Whatsapp ring on my cell phone. I knew it was our oldest son, Andrew and his sweet wife, Hyekoo. They’re visiting Hyekoo’s family in Korea and Japan. It’s so cool to text back and forth such a great distance. And especially wonderful to see the pictures!
There was one extra special picture they sent that made my heart almost burst with happiness! Andrew and Hyekoo’s first little one! Another new grandbaby on the way!
We have a very special weekend coming up. A double celebration – Valentine’s Day and a milestone birthday! My sweetheart is entering a brand new decade. More on that later 🙂
And later this morning I’m heading into town to spend some time with my littlest Valentine. Last night she gave me a kiss over the phone – and then made her daddy give her the phone so she could hug it. I’m going in to collect that kiss and hug in person!
Thanks for dropping in – hope you have a Happy Valentine’s Day!
Many blessings to you and yours,
PS ~for more Friday Faves visit Susanne at Living To Tell The Story