Welcome to Friday’s blessing list! And Happy Valentine’s Day!red-heart-outlineCounting your blessings is a sure way to make your heart happy.

1. There’s a whole of happiness going on in the kitchen today. I’m making Carolyn’s delicious sugar cookies for a Valentine’s Day treat. Mmm mm!

Carolyn_cookiesThey make pretty little Valentine hearts with some icing and pink sugar sparkles sprinkled on top. Add a slice or two of Nannie’s Boiled Raisin Cake and a certain Valentine in this household will be perfectly happy!

Valentine_cookiesHere’s Carolyn’s recipe. If you have time, drop over to visit her blog. It’s beautiful!

Carolyn’s Sugar Cookies

2/3 cup of shortening or lard
3/4 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 egg
4 teaspoons of milk

2 cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Cream the first two ingredients & then beat in vanilla, egg, and milk.
Whisk the dry ingredients together, add to the shortening or lard mix.
Beat until well mixed. Chill for 1 hour. Roll & cut with your favorite cookie cutter.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown.

2. It always makes my heart happy to wake up to a bright sunshiny day. We’ve had a few frost-covered mornings this week.  The sunlight sparkling on the pure white snow is breath-taking. Hard to capture with a camera but I gave it a good try  (over 300 pictures!)

Edward_barn6_Feb14

Edward_barn4_Feb14frosty_evergreen lacy_branches

2. We’re keeping the feeders filled for the backyard birds. They need their fuel especially in these cold winter days. They’re fascinating and beautiful little creatures and well worth their keep!

hairy_woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

frosty_finch

American Goldfinch

Common Redpoll_frosty morning_sm

Common Redpoll

3.  It’s always a fun adventure to drive around the Island in search of photo ops. I’m never sure where I’ll end up, but then you can’t go too far when you’re surrounded by water and/or ice. Pinette wharf is only a few minutes away from our home. The colourful shed doors caught my eye as I was driving by and I had to stop.  Blue sky, pristine snow, brightly painted doors = happiness.

pinette_wharf2_sm4. I drove to another nearby place –  Selkirk Provincial Park. I wondered how the park was faring through the winter. Our children have many happy memories playing here.

Sekirk_playgroundAll was quiet and still.

park_rail_fence_smNot a footprint in the snow.

winter_berriesBright red winter berries with little white snow caps = happiness.  I’m surprised the birds haven’t finished them off.

5. My heart gave a happy leap when I heard the Whatsapp ring on my cell phone. I knew it was our oldest son, Andrew and his sweet wife, Hyekoo. They’re visiting Hyekoo’s family in Korea and Japan. A_H_JapanIt’s so cool to text back and forth such a great distance. And especially wonderful to see the pictures!

There was one extra special picture they sent that made my heart almost burst with happiness!  Andrew and Hyekoo’s first little one! Another new grandbaby on the way!

A_Hbaby Can you believe it? Three new grandbabies in 2014!! God’s sweetest blessings.

*happy sigh*

We have a very special weekend coming up. A double celebration – Valentine’s Day and a milestone birthday! My sweetheart is entering a brand new decade. More on that later 🙂

And later this morning I’m heading into town to spend some time with my littlest Valentine. Last night she gave me a kiss over the phone – and then made her daddy give her the phone so she could hug it. I’m going in to collect that kiss and hug in person!

Thanks for dropping in – hope you have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

Many blessings to you and yours,

PS ~for more Friday Faves visit Susanne at Living To Tell The Story

fff_val

39 thoughts on “fff~ of hearts and happiness

1. Deb says:

Congratulations on this wonderful news of a new grandbaby!!! I KNOW you’re thrilled! Can’t wait to read more!

2. anneliese says:

Beautiful photos! And congratulations on more joy on the way! We had a recent announcement as well.

3. Nan says:

I love the second barn photo. Were you lying down in the snow to get that shot? :<) And those pictures of babies inside are a miracle to me. SO happy for you.

4. miaslovetree says:

I just love the colors on those shed doors! Lovely. Congratulations on the new grandbaby! How exciting. And those heart cookies are such a sweet shape with the scalloped edge.

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Mia! I found that cookie cutter at a yard sale – I love it – it’s the old-fashioned kind – made to last.

Goodness, what an exciting year for babies in your family! Good thing Grandma’s got her camera ready to capture all the cute that’s to come. I love all your wintery photos. With sunshine, it looks so beautiful and pristine.

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Anne – it really is pristine when the sun is shining – so brilliant that you have to shade your eyes or wear sunglasses (which I never do)

6. Oh your cup overflows with blessings / what a happy joyful post that has also left me craving sugar cookies 🙂

1. Kathie says:

Try the recipe Debra – they’re yummy!

Oh my goodness, congratulations! How exciting all these announcements of new grandbabes is! Love the photo of the colorful doors against the winter backdrop, so glad you stopped for that photo and shared it! We have no snow left as the chinook blew in yesterday and today it is mostly melted and gone. Just a lot of dirty mud left behind.

1. Kathie says:

It’s going to be quite a year with babies Susanne! We’re excited!

8. Wow…gorgeous photos! I love snow and love taking snow pictures, too. Congratulations on new grandbabies! And happy birthday to your husband!

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Urailak – I’ll pass on the bday greeting!

9. Willow says:

Having just hung up from talking with my boy in the back jungle of Indonesia, I truly understand the joy of technology which keeps us connected. And what a great way to get the news of your next new little grand! Hurray!
    Oh your bird photos are wonderful! You share the snow and birds and I take beach photos. LOVE the wharf door photos!!

1. Kathie says:

Aren’t those doors pretty Willow? We have a so many of those picturesque wharves around the Island. I can foresee a new photo project 🙂

10. Rosella says:

Oh – so many blessings! Another grand baby on the way = the bestest news for sure! I don’t blame you for going in for that hug and kiss – melt my heart! You really did capture the sparkle on the snow and I LOVE the wharf shed picture! You are such a great photographer. Hope your Valentine’s Day was absolutely wonderful – you must be on cloud nine!!!

1. Kathie says:

We’re pretty excited about those babies Rosella! Wasn’t that cute of Josie – hugging the phone? And then she said “awwww” 🙂

11. Awesome pictures as usual! The sparkly snow and branches are my favourites!

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Catherine! Glad you liked them.

12. Ellen says:

Wow! Another little blessing on the way. What wonderful celebrations to come. Love all your photos. Your backyard birds are very cool. Would love a cookie.

1. Kathie says:

I’d love to have you here for a cookie or two – and a cup of tea! Wouldn’t that be fun?

13. Congrats!! So exciting — another grandbaby! Your photos…just lovely. The berries!! We’re using Viber to communicate with our son in Russia right now. It is such a blessing to be able to text and talk! Have a great week ahead — and post more pics next week!!

1. Kathie says:

Viber is new to me Laura – I’ll have to look that one up.

Aren’t those berries pretty? They really stand out in the winter landscape.

14. susan2009 says:

Technology is such a blessing. You get to see sights of Korea and Japan and your newest grandbaby! How heart-warming and Congrats.

Thanks for linking to Carolyn’s blog. It is a visual treat as are your cookies and boiled raisin cake. We will be celebrating a niece’s 18th birthday today, so I will be getting some cake too. 😉

Enjoy collecting your hug and kisses and celebrating a milestone birthday.

1. Kathie says:

Thanks so much Susan! Glad you enjoyed Carolyn’s blog – it’s a lovely one!

15. Laura Gaudet says:

Hi
    I found your blog on a friends blog
    It caught my interest because you are from PEI and that’s where my husband is from and where he grew up, so I’ve been there a few times, we were there last summer for his moms 85 th bday , love PEI .
    Love the name of your blog and your pictures
    I am going to be a grandma for the first time end of May. So excited
    God bess you
    Larisa(I go by Laura)Gaudet

1. Kathie says:

Thanks for your lovely comment Laura. I’m glad you enjoy my blog. Congratulations on your grandbaby coming up – you’re going to love being a grandma. It’s the best!

16. Happy Valentines day to you Kathie! Oh such blessings in 2014. You are going to be busy busy busy… Congratulations on the new grandbaby news. A baby is always a blessing.

1. Kathie says:

Thank you Lovella! 2014 is going to be an epic year! I’ve picked up a lot of wonderful grandmother tips from you and your blog!

17. amy says:

Delighted for you~Kathi~boundless blessings!!

Exactly!! Thanks!

18. Barb says:

How fun to see the newest of 3 grand-babies that will be arriving in 2014. Isn’t technology amazing. Your photos are all lovely. I can’t even pick a favorite.
    Happy Valentine’s Day

19. Happy day to you Kathie! Your photos are beautiful as always. Love the one of the fishing sheds in the snow. Congratulations on the news of your son and daughter-in-law expecting. Three grand babies in one year? Wow. So exciting. Blessings. Pam

1. Kathie says:

I feel like I’m having triplets 🙂 So much fun!

20. Angela Carpendale says:

Three grand babies in one year – your cup runneth over! How wonderful! Gorgeous pics as always. Bless you! Angie

1. Kathie says:

That verse describes the feeling perfectly Ang!

21. Faith says:

Happy Hearts Day Kathie!! And congrats on the latest grandbaby news! that is so exciting!! Your son and his wife are a beautiful couple..and how fun to see the photos! I always love YOUR photos….my fave today:)is the one of the woodpecker. I had one at the feeder this a.m but my camera is nothing like yours. And I couldn’t even get on the deck due to the new 20 inches of snow we received over night. 🙂

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Faith! You got the snow in that storm and we had rain. Today we had snow. What a winter!