Happy Friday! It’s time to count blessings along with Susanne at Living To Tell The Story. There’s been a lot of celebrating here on the Island this week. Wonder why? Here goes:
1. See all that beautiful snow? We’re having one of the snowiest winters in a long time. We’ve had three snow-storms this week. School was cancelled for 2 days in a row and that was reason for celebration in a lot of households across the Island this week. (at least for the children! 🙂
(You might want to check in again around late March and April – ask me if I still think it’s pretty!)
2. Sophie definitely sides with those who celebrate snow. It makes her happy! She loves to frisk around in it, dig in it, roll in it and, most of all, tease Mila with it.
Mila represents another segment of the Island population – snow makes her grumpy. She wants to come with me when I’m outside taking pictures. As long as I stay on the driveway or the walks, where the snow is cleared, she’s happy. But as soon as Sophie and I take to deeper snow, she starts to protest – loudly.
She’s much happier perched on my shoulders.
3. Spring is on its way, despite the wintry look. And that’s a reason to celebrate! There is warmth in the February sun, the daylight is lasting a little longer each day, icicles are dripping and I heard the springtime mating call of the male chickadee this morning – a sure sign that is spring is getting closer!
Speaking of bird songs, I found this very cool interactive bird call webpage. The birds are native to Minnesota but many of our birds are similar. Click through to identify all the various bird songs. There’s a chickadee on the poster and the first song is the mating call I heard this morning.
4. I wonder if you could hear the cheering from PEI this week? Our own Heather Moyse, (right) from Summerside, PEI, and Kaillie Humphries (from Calgary – there’s Susanne cheering!) took home Olympic gold in Women’s Bobsleigh.
Here’s a lovely youtube video about her and PEI. Embedding wasn’t allowed so I linked it for you. Worth watching!
(The Canadians also won Women’s Hockey but I won’t rub that in too hard – at least not until after the Men’s Hockey this afternoon 🙂 )
5. More celebrating! A fun family gathering for Roger’s 60th birthday celebration.
Philadelphia (nominated for Fan’s Choice Video of the Year) is one of my favourite songs on their album My Friends (nominated for Album of the Year). The song is about a family vacation we took to Philly in 1998. I love the line “Seven strong” Another favourite line – “Listen to the parents talk” – the kids were bored listening to us chat and visit with Roger’s sister, Lorna, and her husband, Brian. They wanted to get going and see Philly! I can just hear myself saying to them “What’s the rush?”. Sarah always likes to point out her starring line “My sister cried.” 🙂
Thanks so much for dropping in! I love to see your name so please say hi in the comments.
Have a great weekend!