Sophie and I are heading out for an autumn ramble. Why don’t you come along for a Friday Fave Five outing? It won’t be hard to count blessings on a beautiful October afternoon on PEI . . .
1. The Island in autumn is a photographer’s dream. The fields and woods are like paintings, with brushstrokes of bright gold, deep green, brilliant crimson, fiery orange and rusty brown against the canvas sky.
2. There are so many backwoods roads to discover on the Island. I head to a favourite one nearby and park the car.
I walk slowly, shuffling and kicking the leaves, just like I used to do as a child. Remember that?
3. There’s a trail leading off the road into the woods. I take it. Trails have a compelling lure for me – where do they go? What’s around that bend? I can never resist.
There’s an old abandoned mill pond just around the bend. I sit on the bank for a while to rest. The October sun is warm on my face and I close my eyes.
4. Somewhere, nearby, hidden behind a tangle of branches and fallen logs, I hear the sound of water rushing over rocks. A tiny waterfall – I love watching the dark brown rush of water, the white foaminess, the swirls and eddies.
5. Sophie and I head downstream to an old bridge.
There, at a bend in the road, we make an interesting discovery.
Hmmm . . . . one sign points the way I came and the other points the way I’m going. I wonder what choice I should make?
I’d like to keep exploring but the sun is slanting low and the dark comes quickly on October evenings. I think we better head for home.
It’s been a lovely day. I’m so glad you came along with Sophie and me!
PS – for more Friday Favourites, visit Susanne at Living To Tell The Story