Sophie and I are heading out for an autumn ramble. Why don’t you come along for a Friday Fave Five outing?  It won’t be hard to count blessings on a beautiful October afternoon on PEI . . .

Sophie_car

1. The Island in autumn is a photographer’s dream. The fields and woods are like paintings, with brushstrokes of bright gold, deep green, brilliant crimson, fiery orange and rusty brown against the canvas sky.

Island_autumn

2. There are so many backwoods roads to discover on the Island. I head to a favourite one nearby and park the car.

Neilson_rd_home

I walk slowly, shuffling and kicking the leaves, just like I used to do as a child. Remember that?

Leaf_shuffle_road

3. There’s a trail leading off the road into the woods. I take it. Trails have a compelling lure for me – where do they go? What’s around that bend? I can never resist.

Mellish_pond_woods
Sophie lopes ahead, so happy to be outside with all the interesting woodsy scents to snuffle. She never goes very far without stopping to make sure I’m coming along.

Sophie_woods
A little squirrel chatters away, scolding us for coming too close to his tree.

Mellish_squirrel
There’s an old abandoned mill pond just around the bend. I sit on the bank for a while to rest. The October sun is warm on my face and I close my eyes.

Mellish_Mill_Pond

4. Somewhere, nearby, hidden behind a tangle of branches and fallen logs, I hear the sound of water rushing over rocks. A tiny waterfall – I love watching the dark brown rush of water, the white foaminess, the swirls and eddies.

stream_brook

5. Sophie and I head downstream to an old bridge.

Mellish pond brooksm

There, at a bend in the road, we make an interesting discovery.

Hmmm . . . . one sign points the way I came and the other points the way I’m going. I wonder what choice I should make?

Mellish-danger-sign

Well . . .the bridge looks sturdy enough and I can see a tire track showing that someone drove over it recently.
MellishPond_bridge
I decide to head that way,and, I’m happy to report, the bridge held. 🙂

I’d like to keep exploring but the sun is slanting low and the dark comes quickly on October evenings. I think we better head for home.

It’s been a lovely day. I’m so glad you came along with Sophie and me!

Happy weekend!

with love

PS – for more Friday Favourites, visit Susanne at Living To Tell The Story

15 thoughts on “An Autumn Ramble

1. Sara says:

That was lovely! My favorite photo is the one where you must have been down on your stomach or close to it, on the path with the trees towering above on either side. What gorgeous countryside you have for walking there.

2. Nan says:

This wonderful posting could by used by the tourist bureau! Oh, to be in PEI!

3. Rosella Leis says:

This is beautiful Kathie! The pictures and words read like soothing poetry. Thanks for sharing….

4. That was a beautiful journey. I enjoyed going along with you.

Oh how lovely! What a beautiful tour you took us on. I love trails too and love exploring.

6. Barbara H. says:

What gorgeous views and a lovely place to walk with a pleasant companion.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

She’s one of the best Barbara!

7. Oh what glorious photos of the beautiful creation God blessed us with. I took my time studying your photos. I am amazed at the clarity of the little squirrels face. He either stood still or you were quick to set your settings.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

He was standing still – looking down at me from the tree trunk and giving me the beady eye. I actually had time to snap 3 photos and they were all clear! And all shot from automatic.

8. Ellen says:

How nice to have such a willing companion to trek about in your Autumn beauty! Love it. You and your lovely island are still on my bucket list…

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

Sophie is always game to go. I think trekking around the Island is her absolute favourite thing to do. She gets so excited when she sees we’re heading out. 🙂 Let me know when you’re coming Ellen and we’ll take a walk together!

9. It’s so beautiful Kathie. I love old dirt country roads like that although those Danger signs were kind of disturbing. I’m glad you made it out safely with your sweet Sophie. Blessings, Pam

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

Those signs were so strange – I wondered why they were put there, in the middle of the road, and not at the entrances?? It’s not like anyone could do much about the “danger” when you already are there. 🙂 Anyway – there wasn’t any danger that I could see except a few deep ruts. I just went slowly. A jeep would be handy!

10. Marcus Ampe says:

Reblogged this on From guestwriters and commented:
    Prince Edward Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada, may look a paradise. After the richness of the Summer, Autumn presents its magic colours. The trees want to tell us stories and their leaves write the words in the air while they’re falling like they’re falling in love with the ground.

No doubt we can see here that Prince Edward Island is a photographer’s dream.

Liked by 1 person