I arrived at Robyn and Kenny’s at 6:40AM  (thanks for inviting me to your house so early! It’s probably a good thing we’re all morning people 😉 )  Kenny had the bird watching site set up in front of a kitchen window with a clear view of the feeder. He covered most of the window with a towel since the cardinal had been skittish the day before. He left it open just wide enough to fit the camera. Robyn and I crouched down and waited, while Kenny kept watch from a window upstairs.

When Robyn and Kenny pointed out the dark spot in the bush behind the feeder, I was like a little kid at Christmas! 🙂 So exciting! It was 7:10 – the cardinal was right on schedule. The light wasn’t the best for a photo op – PEI November mornings are dark –  but I set my ISO to 3200, steadied my camera on the kitchen windowsill, and snapped away

Cardinal_collage
Here’s what the Govt of PEI website says about Northern Cardinal sightings on PEI

Spring
Rare, 1 – 5 birds per season
Winter
December 15 to March 15
Rare, 1 – 5 birds per season
Uncommon, 1 – 12 birds per fortnight

Cardinal_best

He only stayed for about 10 minutes and then flew away. What a thrill! Now I’m looking forward to some photos of him in the snow – won’t that brilliant red be gorgeous against the white snow?

Lucky for me there’s a storm on the way tomorrow 😉

11 thoughts on “Project Cardinal update

1. amy says:

He is lovely! Here in Kentucky he is our state bird…and I generally end up having 15 male and females at my feeders. …when snow is on the ground. I call them my winter Valentine’s:-)

What a thrill indeed! I love your perseverance!

Well look at you, you got your cardinal! Way to go getting us so early! He’s lovely.

4. marg says:

I always love coming here…watching how you so quietly can steal away the breath of standing still and capturing those rare moments. I’ll be watching for that winter storm.

5. Jerralea says:

Not many people are excited about a coming storm! LOL.

You do such a good job capturing birds with your camera!

6. Rosella Leis says:

He’s beautiful indeed! We have one at our feeder sometimes and we even had a family of them nest here last summer – they are one of my favourite birds for sure. I had no idea that they were so rare in PEI. Enjoy and I hope your storm wasn’t too severe (saw the weather reports for your area – eek!).

7. Melanie says:

Yaay! You got your red cardinal! He is a beauty. Against snow, he should be particularly vivid. Happy Thanksgiving.

8. Yay!! I’m so excited for you Kathie. Congrats.

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Pam! It was so fun!

9. Kim says:

AHHHHHHH, you’re so lucky!!!! Isn’t he beautiful? Great pic!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

You’ll have to pop down and see him Kim! Such a gorgeous bird!