A new year

and

a new bird feederred_bird_feeder

One that is especially designed to keep the bully birds blue jays out so that the little song-birds can eat.

It works perfectly. The blue jays are happy on the other feeders and the little birds can eat to their hearts’ content.

red_bird_feeder
But, there’s a little catch with the new feeder.

It not only claimed to keep the bigger birds out, it also claimed to be “squirrel-proof”.

Here’s a closer look at picture #1 in this post.

red_bird_feeder2
What could that be?? Let’s back up a bit and show this blurry shot.

red_bird_feeder1
Hmmmm . . .  that  looks suspiciously like a squirrel on my “squirrel-proof” feeder.

I took this shot a few days later  – definite proof that my “squirrel-proof” feeder wasn’t all that it claimed to be.

red_bird_feeder4

To be fair, I’m sure the makers of this product didn’t have our Island squirrels in mind – they’re quite tiny.

red_bird_feeder_squirrel

And cute.

squirrel_Feb
Good thing!

😉

10 thoughts on “new

I guess cute counts for a lot! I’d no idea Island squirrels were so much smaller.

Oh that sneaky and cheeky little guy! But he is cute. Love the pretty little chickadees. One of my favorite birds.

3. Ellen says:

Oh those sneaky little squirrels. Too funny!

Liked by 1 person

4. anneliese says:

That photo of the squirrel in the feeder is quite funny! He is very cute for a critter. Your photos are so clear!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

He’s pretty cute Anneliese – and bold. He doesn’t even run away now – just looks right at us 🙂

5. Rosella Leis says:

Oops – not very squirrel proof indeed! Great pictures Kathie! I just learned on Facebook today that Sparrows have a life span of 15.75 years! I found that amazing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Rosella! Wow – I didn’t know that about sparrows. We have a lot of the White-throated ones at our feeder in the summer.

6. Sweet photos of the chickadee and the squirrel. I like your feeder and if it was hanging on my clothesline the squirrels wouldn’t get near it! I like that the seed is protected from the rain a bit too. We get Hairy Woodpeckers all the time and they hog the sunflower silo. I can see an investment coming. 🙂 Have a great week!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

We get hairy woodpeckers too Pam, as well as the downy, but mostly on our suet feeder. Once I saw a pileated woodpecker – it just landed on the tree and then took off. Wish I had gotten a picture!