Image (1) stormwatch_logo_en.jpg for post 6132
Juno is bearing down on the Maritimes. The snow is coming down, the winds are picking up, and our house is cocooned in a swirl of white. We can’t even see the church just across the road from us.

(hang on little squirrelly)

(hang on little squirrelly!!)

There’s been lots of warning  about this huge storm, especially from weather network stations – phrases like “crippling”, “frightening mammoth blizzard”, “potentially historic blizzard”, “epic snowstorm blast” tend to heighten the excitement (or “weather panic” as some folks around here like to call it).

winter storm(image from weather network)

No doubt this is a big one.  And it does have serious consequences, especially in urban and coastal areas, and for those travelling. But Islanders, in particular, and Maritimers, in general, tend to take winter storms in stride. We’re used to them. And we usually enjoy them, as long as everyone is safely inside and off the roads.

We prepare by bringing in plenty of wood to keep the stove going, filling a few buckets of water and making sure the flashlight is charged (in case we lose power), pulling out the board games, and most importantly, buying stormchips. 😉

No, you won’t find us succumbing to weather panic, but if the stores ran out of stormchips?

That would be another story all together

Sophie_stove-2015

cosy

10 thoughts on “Juno

1. Rosella Leis says:

I’ve been thinking about you and the big storm! I just heard on CBC Radio the other day about “storm chips” – I love it!!!! I’ll bet you’re thinking of doing some baking (isn’t that what you like to do on stormy days?). Stay safe and warm….

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

Didn’t bake this time but you’re right – it’s a fun thing to do on storm days!!

Stormchips?! Now that is one of the best ideas ever! I’ll keep that in mind. LOL. But in all seriousness, stay warm and safe!

Liked by 1 person

3. Eeek! I’m sorry you are in the storms path. Please keep safe and warm. Your fire looks so warm and inviting… your dog seems to like it especially.
    Lovely pics
    Phoebe x

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

It’s our dog’s favourite spot – the hotter the fire , the more she likes it!

4. Ellen says:

I’ve been thinking of you and Vee with all the warnings we’re hearing on the news about Juno. Glad you are stocked with chips and have that woodstove!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Ellen! We haven’t lost power so far, but it’s turning to freezing rain tonight so there’s a real chance we will. We’ll be extra thankful for the woodstove if it does.

5. I sure wish I was sitting in front of that fire right now Kathie. It’s so cold in our house as the wind is blowing fiercely on the front window. I even have a down vest on! lol It’s quite a storm but I think the snow has let up a bit although the wind is wreaking havoc with the snow that is already down. I’m glad you’re safe and cozy. Take care.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathie says:

Oh dear, have you folks lost power? Sorry you’re feeling the cold Pam! The winds are blowing pretty hard here too but the stove is keeping our place toasty. Hope it dies down soon for you.You take care too. xx