Hi there! Welcome to Friday’s Blessing list and a Happy Valentine’s Day to each of you! I don’t know of a better way to make your heart happy than to count your blessings. It works for me every time.
1. Watching the birds is a daily happiness activity here at a Sparrow’s Home. The feeders are hung in a flowering crab tree just outside our kitchen windows. Little did I realize when my beloved and all my little loves gave me this Mother’s Day gift years ago, that it would grow to bring me such happiness. Gorgeous blossoms in the spring, shade in the summer,
but most of all a refuge for all kinds of lovely songbirds. We enjoy watching the birds all year long but we probably appreciate it most in the winter. American goldfinches and chickadees are always faithful visitors but this year we have some new visitors to the feeder – a whole flock of pine siskins.
He comes all the way from the Arctic tundra – the Common Redpoll. I spent a
ridiculously long time in the frigid air trying to capture his beautiful iridescent cap in the sunlight.
2. More happiness – reading! I like to check out my favourite book blogs on Saturday mornings. When I find an interesting title, I check to see if our library carries it. Then I request it online. I usually have a tall stack of books waiting for me when I make my weekly library visit. I don’t have any trouble finding interesting non-fiction books, but I don’t have much success with newer fiction books. Sometimes I like to buy a book or two (ahem) and this is my preferred online bookstore. In honour of Valentine’s Day, they listed the best love stories of all time, and I was pleased to see a few of my favourite fiction books highlighted:
I’ve tried a few of the recently published books on that list but they didn’t appeal. Do you have a favourite fiction story with a love theme? Please share in the comments.
3. More heart happiness this week ~ music!
I’m attending a harp workshop every second Saturday afternoon. It’s such fun to gather with a group of harpers and make music together. We’re working on some waltzes and it reminds me of afternoons at the skating rink when I was a child.
4. Here’s happiness – time with my littlest sweethearts. Sweet hugs from this boy (and his daddy too – I ❤ this shot – thanks Dorothy!)
5. I’ve been soaking my heart in Ephesians since the New Year. It’s amazing the transformation that happens when you stay in a book day after day. I wanted to share this prayer from Ephesians 3. It’s perfect for Valentine’s Day and every day ~ and it’s my heartfelt prayer for each of you.
My beloved and I are heading out for a Valentine’s dinner with a cause – a fundraiser for our church’s Guatemala mission trip. A delicious turkey dinner, candles, flowers and best of all? John and Sarah will be serenading us. I’m really looking forward to it.
Hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day weekend – thanks so much for coming by to visit!
PS – thanks to Susanne for hosting Friday fave 5 each week. Drop over to her blog Living to Tell The Story for more blessing lists.